Group Fitness Classes at the Dugan Promote Healthy Living

Jacob Sazon

Ride the wave to wellness with Adrianna Wooldridge in her new health column: Waves of Wellness!

“Many students are living a sedentary lifestyle which leads to numerous health problems. Lack of movement may lead to diseases such as obesity and diabetes, and contributes to depression, anxiety, mood swings, and improper hormone regulation. Additionally, students may suffer from feeling out of shape in their day-to-day life while doing normal tasks like walking around campus. Our goal at the Dugan is to promote a sustainable healthy lifestyle for students,” Reshma Philip, Graduate Assistant for Fitness and Wellness at the Texas A&M University- Corpus Christi Dugan Wellness Center, stated.

Carlos invites students to join for a fun and challenging circuit training class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 pm-2:00 pm. (Photo Courtesy of Reshma Philip.)

According to the CDC, regular physical activity reduces fatigue, anxiety, and depression. Exercise also improves sleep quality and cognitive function because it “helps keep your thinking, learning, and judgment skills sharp as you age.” “Exercising not only helps students perform better physically, but it also helps students perform better in the classroom. Students who stay active feel more relaxed and find that their memory and mood are improved,” Reshma stated. 

Along with the immediate health benefits associated with exercising, regular physical activity provides many long-term health benefits. According to the CDC, “people who are physically active for about 150 minutes a week have a 33% lower risk of all-cause mortality than those who are physically inactive.” Exercising reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases, Type 2 diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, and several commonly occurring cancers. Additionally, strengthening of the bones and muscles from exercise slows the loss of bone density, reduces the risk of hip fractures and falls, and prevents the development of bone diseases such as osteoporosis. Exercise also slows the aging process by supporting the production of collagen, increasing blood flow, and nourishing skin cells, according to WebMD. 

TAMU-CC students join Claire for a gentle yet energizing Vinyasa Flow. (Photo Courtesy of Reshma Philip.)

In an effort to promote a healthy, active lifestyle, the Dugan Wellness Center is offering free exercise classes. The Spring 2022 classes at the Dugan include: Barre with Lily, Chiseled Circuits with Carlos, Yoga with Claire, and Zumba with Victoria. “Many students are unaware of the free exercise classes happening this semester. These classes are great for students to feel more motivated as they workout with their peers and are provided with a structured workout. Along with these classes, we also offer personal training at a fee. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all students are recommended to sanitize their area with wipes and to wear a mask,” Reshma stated.

Gabriella Lares, a senior kinesiology major at TAMU-CC, spoke on her experience as a personal trainer at the Dugan. “I train mainly freshmen, and my goal is to help them gain strength and flexibility. I personally have experienced many health benefits from exercising at the Dugan, including increased energy, strength, and flexibility. I’ve also noticed a decrease in my stress levels,” Gabriella stated. 

For more information on the fitness classes available at TAMU-CC, visit: https://www.tamucc.edu/rec-sports/group-fitness.php