Free and Low-Cost Health Resources for TAMU-CC Students

Kenya Zarate

Sophomore computer science major Alvaro Vasquez uses the shoulder press at the Dugan Wellness Center.

Starting college can be overwhelming, and students may easily neglect their mental and physical health. Incoming freshmen may be unaware of the numerous free, and/or low-cost resources available at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi and around the city of Corpus Christi. Island Waves conducted interviews with staff at the University Health Center and The Nueces County Department of Social Services to gather a list of the best health resources on and off campus for students to utilize.

Physical Activity:

• Dugan Wellness Center: Suite 107 (825-2454)

Group fitness classes are free for students, and private training sessions are available at a fee. Students may also join intramural sports teams to stay active and meet new friends. 

• Safe Fun-Fit at the Bayfront: Fitness Lane (826-2489)

Free exercise classes are offered on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. along the bayfront. For more information, visit: https://www.cctexas.com/safefunfit.

Mental Health:

• University Counseling Center: Driftwood Building (825-2703)

The UCC offers mental health workshops, individual and group counseling, crisis consultations, psychiatric services, a relaxation room, and more to help students cope with school and life.

• Coastal Bend Wellness Foundation: 2882 Holly Rd. (814-2001)

General counseling services are provided for patients. The Coastal Bend Pride Center, a department within the Coastal Bend Wellness Foundation, provides free condoms, STI/HIV testing, safe zone training, support groups, and more.

• New Life Young Adults Organization: 5801 McArdle Rd. (214-500-4247)

For Christian students, New Life is a college ministry at TAMU-CC and a place for students to connect and call home. New Life hosts an annual conference, monthly Young Adult Nights, and weekly Life Groups for students to grow closer to God and others.

• Islander Green Team Organization: (825-5555)

The Green Team spreads awareness about environmental issues and has a relief garden to help students de-stress. 

Students may join this organization to learn more about resources on campus, mental health, and safe sex. Students may also find free period products in select TAMU-CC restrooms, thanks to the Islander Feminists. 

Medical and Dental Assistance:

• University Health Center: Sandpiper Building (825-2601)

“TAMU-CC students who pay the health center fee and are actively taking classes may utilize the health center. We offer COVID-19 tests and conduct frequent STI testing events. Lab blood tests are provided for a small fee,” Shelley Martinez-Lopez, the Assistant Director of the Health Center said.

• Mission of Mercy: 2421 Ayers St. (883-5500)

The clinic provides free medical care for acute and chronic conditions through face-to-face and telemedicine appointments. Vision care and low cost eyewear are also available. 

• Timons Ministries: 10501 S Padre Island Dr. (937-6196)

The clinic provides extractions, x-rays, and cleanings to low-income/non-insured, drug-free individuals from throughout the Coastal Bend area.

Uninsured or under-insured patients may receive healthcare services at a lower cost. The foundation provides primary health care services, sexual health and testing resources, HIV/AIDS services, gynecological services, and free Naxolone training and kits.

• Women’s and Men’s Health Services of the Coastal Bend: 4410 Dillon Ln. (857-0101)

The clinic provides urine screening used for STD testing, pregnancy tests, free condoms, and emergency contraception walk-ins.

Food and Housing:

• Izzy’s Food Pantry: University Center Suite 310 (825-FOOD (3663))

The pantry provides food assistance for qualifying TAMU-CC students. Students may gather up to 25 food items per week. 

• Coastal Bend Food Bank: 826 Krill St. (887-6291)

The food bank provides free programs such as the Nutrition Education Program and the Diabetes Hands-on Self-Management Education Program. 

Healthy cooking classes are offered for free.

• Quiet Time Ministries: 4204 Kostoryz Rd. (857-0500)

The food and clothing pantry is open every Tuesday from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.   

• Metro Ministries: 1919 Leopard St. (887-0151)

The Loaves & Fishes free cafeteria serves nutritious dine-in meals for low-income individuals. 

• Salvation Army: 513 Josephine St. (884-9497)

The rent assistance and rapid rehousing programs help individuals find a home of their own to live in.

• Corpus Christi Hope House: 3226 Reid Dr. (852-2273)

The Hope House provides emergency shelter, transitional housing, food, clothing, baby items, counseling, education, medical, and other assistance

For more information about health opportunities at TAMU-CC, visit: https://www.tamucc.edu/student-life/health-and-wellness/index.php