LONG LIVE T’CHALLA!!!!!! BLACK PANTHER MOVIE REVIEW

HARLEY FONSESCA
RATING 4.5/5 STARS

“WAKANDA FOREVER!!” is what people will be saying for a very long time since Marvel’s Black Panther hit the theaters, making over $700 million worldwide so far since its opening weekend. Directed by Ryan Coogler, the film stars Chadwick Boseman as T’Challa, who returns to Wakanda after the death of his father to become king and take on the responsibilities as the new Black Panther. Soon enough, T’Challa is faced to fight for his throne when a powerful new enemy returns to claim what’s rightfully his.

Fully action-packed while delivering hilarious one-liners, the movie also offers beautifully designed costumes and visuals. Attention to detail is one of my favorite things to see in movies and costume designer Ruth Carter blended elements of real African tribes and cultures into modern day fashion with the use of vivid colors. Let’s be honest: all of us had our breath taken away with Angela Bassett wearing that gorgeous white dress when she welcomed T’Challa home. Another incredible thing about this film was its soundtrack, curated by one of my favorite artists, Kendrick Lamar, which also features some of his collaborators from his record company, like SZA and Ab-Soul, accenting the film’s action sequences like the featured song “Opps” in the car chase scene.

To top this film off with an incredible talented cast, this film without a doubt has blown people away and already has them excited for the next Black Panther cameo in The Avengers: infinity War (set to be released May 2018). Boseman brought an incredible performance alongside Michael B. Jordan, who honestly can’t stop being the most beautiful man to exist, taking oneself on a huge roller-coaster of emotions once you learn about Killmonger’s (Jordan’s character) background story, although it almost seemed too rushed and sure, Killmonger is the antagonist here but even I wanted him to have the throne more than what felt like five minutes.

Through another point of view, some audience members have a bigger connection to the film as Black Panther brings some cultural significance as well. Sophomore theatre major Tyren Duncan said he believes the movie set a perfect example of how African Americans should be portrayed in films.

Not only has Black Panther broke box office records, but after just three weeks in theaters, the Disney company has announced they will be donating $1 million to the Boys & Girls Club of America to help youth STEM programs in 12 communities across the country, including Oakland, California, which was a city featured in the movie. Box offices are expecting the film to have made over $900 million worldwide in the next couple of weeks. I would give this movie a 4.5/5 stars, with its beautiful design and acting; the only thing preventing it from a perfect rating is that the sequel won’t have Michael B. Jordan. If you have yet to see it, you are seriously missing out on one of the best-selling superhero movies to hit the theatres this year.