National School Walkout Day

National School Walkout Day

Students participate in a march in support of the National School Walkout in the Queens borough of New York City, New York, U.S., March 14, 2018. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

REUTERS

REUTERS

REUTERS

SAMUEL TRUJILLO
@SAMTRUJILLO14

High school students across the country organized a nationwide walkout in protest of gun violence on March 14, the one-month anniversary of a shooting that left 17 dead at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

Sporting the tagline, “Enough is Enough,” students at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, Sandy Hook Elementary in Newport, Connecticut, Marjory Stone- man Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida and schools all across the country walked out of their classrooms and schools in solidarity to de- mand new legislation that will help protect students like themselves from the very real dangers of gun violence. The walkout was planned by various activist groups and individuals such as Women’s March – Youth Empower and survivors of last month’s shoot- ing in Florida. The protest was promoted through the use of social media platforms such as Twitter using the hashtag #EnoughIsEnough.

“I think it’s great to see all of these students coming togeth- er to demand the changes they feel would keep them safe,” sophomore Ally Constanza said. “By doing this, they are not only standing up for them- selves, but they are doing so in a time when many others seem afraid of doing the right thing.”

The students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School have been successful in lobby- ing their representatives as

their efforts have led to new state-wide legislation, namely, the increase of the minimum age required to purchase an AR style rifle, and the introduction of a 3-day wait period. While students across the coun- try have yet to achieve such goals, their message remains hopeful and optimistic for a safer future.

While Youth Empower, the branch of the Women’s March Organization responsible for organizing the protest, wanted the students to be in charge and decide how they would

protest, they also provided stu- dents a list of demands for law- makers. The group demands lawmakers increase the age for people to purchase weap- ons and for a ban on military- style weapons.

“It’s up to you! This is your 17-minute walkout! Some students plan to circle their school holding hands while others will congregate in hallways to hold hands, sing songs or stand together in si- lence. Others plan to speak the names of people killed by gun violence — from the 17

students killed in Parkland to members of their own fam- ily or community,” said Youth Empower’s website.

So far, no large-scale pro- tests have taken place in Corpus Christi. However, a March For Our Lives event is scheduled for March 24 at Sherill Park in downtown Cor- pus Christi in response to the Florida shooting and to pro- test gun violence. Look for coverage in our next issue. For more about guns on cam- pus, see Nicole Shair’s story on page 4.