Islanders Baseball opens conference play

Scott Balfantz, Number 18, up to bat against the Sam Houston State University Bearkats.

Photo by Samuel Trujillo/ISLAND WAVES

Scott Balfantz, Number 18, up to bat against the Sam Houston State University Bearkats. Photo by Samuel Trujillo/ISLAND WAVES

SAMUEL TRUJILLO
@SAMTRUJILLO14

Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi Men’s Baseball opened up Southland Conference play March 17 as they faced the Sam Houston State University Bearkats here at home on Chapman Field.

The three-game series opened up on Friday evening where Islander pitcher Dustin Lacaze L (1–1) dueled it out against Bearkats starter Hayden Wesneski W (2–1). The Bearkats got things rolling early as two first in- ning singles and a sacrifice fly gave the Bearkats a 1-0 lead through one inning. Aside from that first inning, Lacaze would pitch a strong game in which he allowed six hits while strik- ing six batters out.

Reliever Cole Carter came in during the eighth inning to take over for Laca- ze, who had just allowed his second run to score. Tasked with holding the 2–0 score line, Carter allowed one more run, putting the Islanders in a 3–0 hole entering their half of the eighth.

Looking for any sort of spark to help get the Islanders back into it, the team needed someone to step up and get a rally going. That spark came in the form of a one out triple by junior Harrison DiNicola, which gave the Islanders their best scoring opportunity of the game so far. DiNicola would be driven in on a one-out sacrifice fly by Jackson Owens which would pull the Islanders back to within two runs. Unfortunately, the rally lost its steam there and the islanders would end up on the wrong side of a 3–1 final score line leaving them at 0–1 in conference play this season.
The following two games weren’t much brighter as the Islanders suffered their first sweep of the season.

Game two saw the Islanders lose 3–5 in another late comeback that ended up on the short side. The Islanders picked up 10 hits and one error while allowing the Bearkats on base eight times. Despite this, the Bearkats would drive four runs in early and held the lead throughout the ballgame.

Game three was the biggest defeat of the weekend as the Bearkats steam- rolled the Ders en route to a 9–0 vic- tory. Islander’s pitcher Jackson Owens faced Sam Houston’s Gabriel Sequeira in a once sided contest that saw sev- en of the Bearkats nine runs score in the third inning. The Islanders would allow nine hits and two errors while picking up four hits for themselves.

For more information about the Islander men’s baseball team and to follow upcoming games, visit goislanders.com.