Kicking off Black History Month

Photo+by+Samuel+Trujillo%2FISLAND+WAVES%0A%0ASymone+Sanders+addresses+crowd+at+Performing+Arts+

Kicking off Black History Month

Photo by Samuel Trujillo/ISLAND WAVES

Symone Sanders addresses crowd at Performing Arts

Photo by Samuel Trujillo/ISLAND WAVES Symone Sanders addresses crowd at Performing Arts

SAMUEL TRUJILLO
@SAMTRUJILLO14

Marking the first of many scheduled Black History Month events on the Island, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi teamed up with Del Mar College to host the 6th annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Celebration at the Performing Arts Center on Jan. 23.

The event boasted a lineup of speakers and presentations honoring Dr. King’s legacy. TAMU-CC Student Ambassador Cidnee Le’Sure and Del Mar Student Government Association President John Beauford welcomed the community to the Island and gave their opening remarks. Following a video presentation that honored Dr. King and other civil rights leaders’ legacies, the celebration’s keynote speaker, Symone Sanders, took the stage to offer her message of hope for the future and explain the importance of Black History Month.

“To me, [it’s] a time to celebrate the amazing achievements and milestones that black people in this country have achieved,” Sanders said. “But I think it’s also about moving forward while realizing how far we still have to go.”

Sanders, known for her role as national press secretary for the Bernie Sanders Presidential Campaign and her political commentary on CNN, is a democratic strategist who advocates for inclusion and justice. Sanders said young people have the power to change the world for the better.

“I 100 percent agree with Ms. Sanders,” Corpus Christi resident John Newell said. “The fight for a better world has always been driven by young people and I believe this country’s future is in good hands. They just need to keep fighting the good fight.”

She went on to draw comparisons between civil rights leaders such as Dr. King and ourselves.

“The only difference between yourself and Dr. King, Malcom X, and those people you never read about in the books is that they capitalized on unique opportunities,” Sanders said. “They made the conscious decision to be the change made in their everyday lives.”

As this celebration lines up with various other Black History Month events, some of the evening’s main talking points were inclusion and equality.

For more information about the various Black History Month events, visit bhm.tamucc.edu.