Today we are seeing what it takes

Today we are seeing what it takes

Photo by Mitchell Jackson/ISLANDWAVES

Ray High-School students organized the March for our Lives rally in Corpus-Christi

Photo by Mitchell Jackson/ISLANDWAVES Ray High-School students organized the March for our Lives rally in Corpus-Christi

AMERICA SEGURA
REPORTER

Millions of activists rallied in cities all across the nation against gun violence during the “March for our Lives,” events on March 24, and Corpus Christi was no exception.

Organized by Ray High School students, not only did teens march, but so did parents, teachers and other concerned citizens. It is estimated more than 300 attended the rally, which occurred in downtown Corpus Christi. Another rally took place in Beeville Saturday morning. Corpus Christi officials sanctioned the event and closed about six blocks in the downtown area for
the march.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students organized the main event in Washington D.C. which, according to CBS news, attracted more than 200,000 attendees.  The students have captured national attention because of their activism following the massacre in Parkland, Florida when 17 were gunned down by a former student wielding an AR-15 on Feb. 14.  One of the leaders of the group is Marjory Stoneman Douglas senior Emma Gonzalez. Gonzalez, with tears spilling down her face, listed the names of the 17 people killed in the school shooting. Another MSD student organizer, Cameron Kasky, told the D.C. crowd, “We hereby promise to fix the broken system we’ve been forced into and create a better world for the generations
to come.”

In addition to the six juniors from Ray High School who led the march, Saturday’s Corpus Christi rally commenced with short talks by the Miller High School Student Council President, state Rep. Abel Herrero, D-Corpus Christi and former Corpus Christi ISD Superintendent Scott Eliff. Eliff began by recalling where and what he was doing when he found out about Sandy Hook, and even recalled watching Columbine High School students on TV being escorted out of their campus after the 1999 massacre.

“Sandy Hook, nothing,” Eliff said. “Orlando, nothing. Las Vegas, nothing. Sutherland Springs and nothing. What will it take? But today we are seeing what it takes.”

Throughout the marches across the nation, young people reminded politicians that this issue has captured their attention. The same was true for students who marched in
Corpus Christi.

“I think it’s important for this issue to gain awareness, and for there to be something done about it,” student Catalina Rassure said. “Gun control lately has become a bigger issue and there needs to be something resolved soon enough so that we can
prevent tragedies.”