Austin bombings create mayhem

Austin bombings create mayhem

Image courtesy of Ricardo B. Brazziell/AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN VIA AP

AMBER CASTILLO
@AMBERCASTILLO27

For nearly three weeks the citizens in Austin were on edge as exploding packages were being delivered to the front doorsteps of residents in the city.

The mysterious bombs killed two people and left several others wounded. A city that was known for being so careful and fun quickly became the center of attention as police frantically searched for the person behind the bombings. According to CNN, the bomber identified as Mark Anthony Conditt was a 23-year-old man, although his motive is still unclear, a confession video was found on his phone prior to taking his own life. The incident is also now being identified as a domestic terror attack according to police Chief Brian Manley CNN reports.

“He does not at all mention anything about terrorism, nor does he mention anything about hate,” Chief Manley said. “But, instead, it is the outcry of a very challenged young man talking about challenges in his personal life that led him to this point.”

The attacks began on March 2 with packages being left outside homes and continued through March 12. It then took a turn as the bomber then switched up his game and rigged a tripwire with an explosive device. A few days later another package bomb was sent through FedEx. Mayhem began when the package exploded on a conveyer belt at a FedEx outside of San-Antonio leaving one employee injured.

With the incident being close to our city, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi students had a very strong opinion about the matter. Junior communication major Vanessa Dominguez said she was very shocked that something like this occurred so close to home.

“When a tragedy such as this one strikes so close to home it creates a lot of panic,” Dominguez said. “Hearing about this incident hurt because Austin is a place I love to go visit very often. I was in shock. It’s like we are constantly hearing about tragedy taking place all over America and now it has reached us in Texas. This incident really had me questioning what could we have done to prevent this? Where do we go from here? It is said to think that if this man would have been a different race, he would have instantly been classified as a terrorist.”

Freshman kinesiology major Nathaniel Magallanez said he was more frustrated than anything as he expressed his feelings about the situation.

“Only cowards do something like this,” Magallenez said, “Yes, I understand they are saying he was a challenged young man, but there are resources that people can go to to help you. I feel disgusted that someone could even do something like that to innocent people. I feel the only thing people can do is be more aware and cautious of their surroundings.”

Many argue it took so long to classify the incident as a terroristic attack because the man was indeed a white man. According to CNN, investigators believe they have found all the bombs. In a video found on Conditts phone, he stated had he not been caught, the attacks would have continued authorities said.