Islanders take tough first loss to Texas A&M

Image courtesy of goislander.com/TAMUCC
In eld/pitcher Jackson Owens up at bat against the Texas A&M Aggies.

Image courtesy of goislander.com/TAMUCC In eld/pitcher Jackson Owens up at bat against the Texas A&M Aggies.

AMERICA SEGURA
@AMERICABATEL

On March 27, the Islanders Baseball team went head-to-head with the Texas A&M Aggies at Whataburger Field: a game that was already predicted to be a tough match. The game took place at Whataburger Field, considering it would be a major game and it was sure to make the fans get up on their feet in awe.

At the end, the Islanders took a tough, well-fought first loss in a final score of 3 to 5. To begin with, the Islanders out-hit the Aggies 9 to 7. In addition, Jackson Owens collected a team-high three knocks against their in-state rival. Nonetheless, on the opposing side, seven different Aggies accounted for the seven hits, with Braden Shewmake knocking in three runs and Hunter Coleman adding two RBI. Michael Helman went 1 for 4 with one walk, one double and one run scored to extend his hit streak to 19 games, equaling the 10th longest in school annals.

Scoring opened up on a two-run shot from the Texas A&M shortstop, as the visiting side took a 3 to 0 lead heading into the third inning. Leading off for the Islanders in the frame, Enrique Sanchez Jr. tallied a single to start the inning, scoring just a few at bats later on a Nick Anderson single. Following that, the Aggies were able to gain another two runs during the fourth quarter, not to mention that before RJ Ruiz knocked a single up the middle to score Luke Marbach from third.  Furthermore, thanks to Jackson Owens crossing home on Drake Osbron, the Islanders ended up rounding up the score in the seventh inning.  Owens actually went on a 3 for 4 with a walk on the afternoon, riding a seven-game hit streak.

Aggie starting pitcher Chandler Jozwiak worked three innings, allowing one run on four hits and one walk. Asa Lacy, another Aggie, was credited with the win out of the bullpen. He worked 1.1 scoreless innings, scattering one hit and one walk while striking out one. Jason Ruffcorn worked a scoreless sixth inning and Nolan Hoffman earned his fourth save of the season, allowing just one hit while striking out three in 2.0 innings.

In 5 to 3, Owens would reach first and foremost for the fourth time during the ninth inning, evidently bringing the tying run to plate. And for the Aggies closer, Nolan Hoffman retired the last two batters of the night.  However, as in an unfortunate turn of events, the Islanders ended the game unlikely satisfied with the ending result.