How to fight your seasonal airborne allergies

JENNIFER CORTEZ
REPORTER

The time has come again for people who have serious allergies to do battle against the mother nature and spring, the beautiful spring where April Showers bring May Flowers. And then those May flowers will retaliate by giving us allergies. Airborne allergies make you feel it like you’re sick, but really, these allergens just don’t like you. But, the time has come for us to fight against those pesky airborne allergies.

First things first: try to confirm with a doctor that is allergies. Sometimes it could be that you are sick, and everyone has different allergy symptoms. The most common are itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, stuffy nose, runny nose,heavy sinus congestion and, in serious cases, you may experience coughing.

Airborne Allergies are activated from nature. Allergens include pollen, ragweed, dust, pet dander and on serious occasions, dust mites. These allergies are common among people. According to WebMD. com, more than 50 million Americans suffer from allergies each year. Are you one of those people who has airborne allergies? Let me break it down on how you can conquer this allergy season.

Number one

Zyrtec or something similar like Claritin is going to be your best friend. These kinds of medications specifically help target what causes your body to react the way it does. Naturally, Zyrtec and something similar helps with sneezing. If you have ever seen a commercial for Zyrtec, not only is it funny but it is very real for people who experience the sneezing epidemic.

Number two

If it gets to the point where you are very congested, take a decongestant such as Mucinex. That product has been proven that it is God sent to people who suffer with congestion. I should know, Mucinex has been my partner in crime in this battle of congestion of spring 2018.

In addition to the Mucinex, there is the spray solution called Flonase which will help fight six signs of seasonal airborne allergies. “FLONASE provides 24-hour relief from symptoms caused by hay fever, or other upper respiratory allergies. These symptoms include nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing, itchy nose, itchy eyes and watery eyes.” (www.flonase.com)

Number three

Drink plenty of fluids, such as water, Sprite (7Up), Gato- rade or Powerade (anything with electrolytes), and orange juice. Drinking fluids is more of a common cold remedy, but I have experienced a bad case of seasonal allergies where it got to the point where I could not eat anything. Drinking fluids helps relieve the fluids that were lost from all that sneezing and coughing.

Hopefully some of these remedies will help with your airborne allergies. If not, then seek medical attention to help with that cough or that nasty cold that can land you in bed during finals. Battle on Islanders.