Scared in silence: A Quiet Place review

Scared in silence: A Quiet Place review

Image courtesy of empireonline.com/EMPIRE

HARLEY FONSECA
REPORTER

SHHH!!! Don’t move…don’t speak… don’t even try to breathe when you go watch A Quiet Place. Why I decided to buy Pringles as a snack? I do not know, probably one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made considering this film has very little spoken dialogue, but I was so focused on the movie, I could barely eat anyway.

A Quiet Place is focused on the Abbott family (the name is only given from a visual of their mailbox with the last name and the end credits confirming it) in a world where aliens have invaded by the looks of the news articles left in stores and empty streets in the film. The Abbotts have reduced all sound in their everyday lives including footsteps so they make trails of sand to walk on with no shoes and even “talking” to each other in sign language in place of actual speech. The world’s population is slowly being wiped out by these creatures, which society has figured out that they rely on their super sense of hearing because they cannot see. They have armored skin so it is pretty much impossible to kill them and run as fast as cheetahs so you definitely can’t outrun them. The opening scene is a brief flashback, giving you a taste of what’s to come with a predictable outcome, but within those first few minutes, you find yourself already holding your breath, scared you might give away the characters’ location.

This movie is mostly focused on physical action. The phrase, “actions speak louder than words” takes on a whole new mean- ing in this movie with the actors’ facial expressions, the way their bodies react to any sudden noises and stiffen to keep still, even the simple look into each other’s eyes. Director John Krasinski (who is famously known for his role as mischievous Jim Halpert from The Office) has made a horror movie with little dialogue work. Typically, in horror movies, you usually see the characters find out the background story to the monster chasing them around the climax of the movie, but A Quiet Place immediately opens with a torn down street light in an empty intersection, abandoned cars and buildings, missing posters completely covering walls. Newspaper articles show bold headlines of how “THEY’VE INVADED!” or catching glimpses of headlines in the father’s basement of “U.S. Military Defeated: “We Can No Longer Help You.”

John Krasinski is already recognizable, even with his new Grizzly Adams beard, but as director, I’ve noticed for this movie that he decided to focus more on his co-stars since his wife Emily Blunt is right by his side in the film, and giving the opportunity for a young deaf actress to shine. The Abbotts are a family of four: a father who tries his very best to provide and protect his family; a mother (Emily Blunt), who is now pregnant and close to giving birth; with two children, one incredibly timid son (Noah Jupe) who is reluctant to go scavenging with his father and an older daughter who is deaf and not taken seriously when she volunteers to go in place of her brother. Millicent Simmonds, the young actress who plays the daughter of the Abbott family, is deaf in real life, this being only her second film to star in. Simmonds, in my opinion, stole the show for me since she is only 15 and could deliver such an emotional argument in one scene she has with John Krasinski that I believe this is just the beginning for this blooming

young actress. I’ve also seen in a recent interview where Simmonds explained how the entire cast and crew all learned ASL (American Sign Language) to completely communicate with Simmonds throughout filming, making her feel completely loved and welcome, hoping it inspires many other hearing impaired actors/actresses out there.

A Quiet Place is suspenseful, emotional, and stressful to watch; something everyone should muster up the courage to see as soon as possible.