The Dugan Wellness Center offers various summer fitness opportunities that last

SIERRA LUTZ
LAYOUT EDITOR

Bikini season is upon us. However, there may be some people who don’t feel ready to let the world see what they got going on. That’s why a commitment to summer fitness could help out.

According to Senior nursing student and group fitness instructor, Rebecca Moon, “This is the time where people feel most vulnerable about themselves, you know? So, use the summer time to revamp or repair; give your-self some self-care.”

Even if you are just starting out now, getting a routine in place will make it easier for you to maintain being active in the coming semesters.

“In the summer time you’re kinda susceptible to working out,” Moon said. “And you want to feel good about yourself, you want to get that vitamin D, so if you make a routine now you’re gonna end up sticking with it through the fall and through the spring, just because your body is so conditioned.”

Working out has many positive benefits for college students, especially, due to the stress and pressure of earning a college degree.

“I know that if I don’t work out I start to get very agitated, and then with the stress of school and exams it makes me feel very antsy,” Moon said. “So, working out, coming to the gym, it’s a place where I can escape from all of that.”

If you aren’t completely sure where to begin, the Dugan offers many group fitness classes that can get you started and help you figure out what you like to do.

“Group fitness, it’s like a place where there’s no judgement because everybody is in the same position you are, you just wanna get that work out in,” Moon said. “You don’t want to have to think about ‘what am I gonna do at the gym,’ ‘what equipment am I gonna use,’ somebody’s already there to tell you what to do. All you have to do is follow through with it.”

Moon teaches a variety of fitness classes but this summer she is only teaching the Barre class on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30–6:30 p.m., which she describes as Pilates on crack or ballet for dummies.

Moon enjoys teaching group fitness because of the positive environment the classes present to people striving to get in shape.

“Working out at the gym is great but if you want another type of workout then group fitness it the place for you,” Moon said. “And the whole comradery thing I think is really important. You can tell yourself all day ‘I’m gonna work out’ and then you’re the one held accountable for it, but if you come to this class (Barre) then you have peers that will motivate you to keep going.”

The Dugan offers other group fitness classes as well, including yoga, Zumba, circuit training, cardio circuit and heavy HIITers.

The Wellness Center is open this summer Monday­–Friday from 6:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.

Be sure to keep an eye for their updated Fall semester hours at recsports.tamucc.edu. Just remember that it is never too late to begin a workout routine and that TAMU-CC provides multiple opportunities to do so in positive and reinforcing environments.