Spike Lee’s Blackkklansman: movie review

Topher Grace (That 70's Show, Spiderman 3) as Grand Wizard David Duke in an initiation.

HARLEY FONSECA
Reporter
4.5/5

Spike Lee strikes again in yet another incredible film he released this August, “Blackkklansman.” Based on the original 2014 memoir by Ron Stallworth, portrayed by John David Washington, “Blackkklansman” is a riveting and sometimes comedic true story about Stallworth’s early career as an investigative police officer who infiltrates the Ku Klux Klan with his Jewish coworker Flip Zimmerman, played by Adam Driver, going as Ron in order to be accepted by the KKK.

The film itself shows us the point of view Stallworth experienced as the very first black officer to be hired in the Colorado Springs Police Department. We look at what Stallworth, and I’m sure a lot of black Americans still unfortunately experience, had to deal with when it came to the workplace and how it’s ironically not so different now compared to the 70’s.

John David Washington (Malcolm X, Love Beats Rhymes) as Ron Stallworth, detective for Colorado Springs Department, on a stakeout.

Stallworth is called racial slurs by his coworkers, side eye glances are shot his way and he is then sent to work in the records, most likely to make his coworkers less tense. Stallworth then takes matters into his own hands and calls members of the KKK while pretending to be a racist white American over the phone, even making his way to having regular phone calls with the Grand Wizard of the KKK, David Duke. On the other hand, Stallworth begins to date Patricia Dumas, played by Laura Harrier, president of the black student union and dedicated activist, who is unaware of Stallworth’s occupation.

Director Spike Lee reviewing a scene with Adam Driver (Star Wars, Girls) as Flip Zimmerman, who pretends to be Ron when meeting the KKK.

Spike Lee has been known for making movies with a racial focal point in each storyline: “Do the Right Thing,”“Malcolm X,” “Jungle Fever,” and now “Blackkklansman” can be added to that category of fantastic films Lee makes. The reason this movie needs to be seen, like the other films mentioned, is that although this film is set in the 70’s, the KKK is still a functioning place with plenty of members that all have the same vision of causing violence amongst races that aren’t white. Just like there are people willing to plant bombs at a civil rights rally, as seen in the film, there are people todaywho are willing to run over peaceful protestors with their cars and burn up their own clothes because Nike agrees with Colin Kaepernick’s kneeling protests against police brutality towards unarmed black Americans. “Blackkklansman” is definitely a movie America needs, especially in these times. If you haven’t caught the film in theaters, be sure to rent it at Redbox on Nov. 6, or it will be available for streaming on Amazon and iTunes Oct. 23.