Top 5 Crimes Reported on Campus

Top 5 Crimes Reported on Campus

Image courtesy of Pexels.

Image courtesy of Pexels.

Image courtesy of Pexels.

Image courtesy of Pexels.

Kirklan Hinojosa
Web Editor

The Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Police Department has just released its 2017-2018 Campus Security and Fire Report. The report covers the crime rate statistics over the last three years, 2015-2017. Here are the top five crimes reported on campus and their definitions according to the Campus Security and Fire Report. 

1. Burglary – 17 cases 

The unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or a theft. A structure is defined as having four walls, a roof, and a door. 

1.  Motor Vehicle Theft – 12 cases 

The theft or attempted theft of a motor vehicle. 

1. Rape – 7 cases 

The penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim. 

1. Domestic Violence – 3 cases 

Felony or misdemeanor crimes of violence committed by a current or former spouse or intimate partner of the victim; by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common; by a person who is cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim as a spouse or intimate partner; by a person similarly situated to a spouse of the victim under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction in which the crime of violence occurred; or by any other person against an adult or youth victim who is protected from that person’s acts under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction in which the crime of violence occurred. 

1. Dating Violence – 3 cases 

Violence committed by a person who is or has been in a social relationship of a romantic or intimate nature with the victim. The existence of such relationship shall be based on the reporting party statement and consideration of the length of the relationship, the type of relationship and the frequency of interaction between the persons involved in the relationship. 

While these numbers may seem relatively low, these are only the reported cases and some students are worried about how many cases go unreported. Especially with rape and assault crimes. 

“Personally, my main concern with these crime statistics is that they only showcase what was reported,” said McKenna Coffey, Senior Sociology Major and Secretary of the Islander Feminists. “Studies have shown that those who are victims of sexual violence usually do not report.” 

“If there are seven reported cases, how many have been unreported?” said Coffey. “Our university needs to be sure that it is creating a space where students feel safe, but also one where they feel that they will be helped and supported when they come forward with such issues. While I hope that these seven cases were truly the only instances, I would like to see the university make more effort to let students know that they will actually be helped when these things occur and that they will see justice.” 

The report list ways the school is improving crime prevention and ways to make victims of crimes feel comfortable and safe coming forward. To view the 2017-2018 Campus Security and Fire Report, visit, http://police.tamucc.edu. 

Hate Crimes: 2015 – no hate crimes reported; 2016 – no hate crimes reported; 2017 – no hate crimes reported