Islander women’s volleyball team set for the rest of season

Sam Dumity, #14, going up for a spike in the Sept. 7 game against the University of Miami. Image courtesy of TAMU-CC Marketing and Communications, SmugMug, Inc.

McKeila Rodriguez
Reporter

It has been a season of ups and downs, pain and glory, and an emotional rollercoaster for the Lady Islanders volleyball team. This season has been one of the toughest seasons these athletes have encountered, but they still manage to secure a .500 record in the Southland Conference as of the end of September.  

Even though the Lady Islanders have played a total of 17 games, and only won three of them, they say they are not giving up. With the season starting off tough, the Islanders are still managing to continue to strive to improve their conference record.  

The Islander volleyball team is considered to be a “young” team this season, with half of the players being classified as freshmen and sophomores. Their plan to restore their season has begun, and they say they are ready to take on the rest of the challenges that will arise for their upcoming games.  

Julia Carter, #17, and Sam Dumity, #14, have done an outstanding job this season. These two ladies are just freshmen, preparing themselves to follow another three years of leading the Islander volleyball team to victory. With both their dedication to the team and their outstanding performances that these two ladies have shown throughout the season, the Lady Islanders can definitely come together and improve their record before the 2018-2019 season ends.   

Carter, who’s from Buffalo, N.Y., is a Psychology Major and projected to graduate in the year of 2022. She hopes to get a master’s degree in either Sports, Psychology or Forensic Psychology. Carter has been playing competitively since the 8th grade at the club level and has had many coaches from her volleyball experience help her develop her game and kept her loving it, which led her to come play for the TAMU-CC Islanders Volleyball team.  

“I came to TAMU-CC because I love the coaches here and the team atmosphere,” said Carter. “They really help to make the difficult situation of being a student athlete over 1,000 miles away from home a lot easier. 

“At this level, every player on every team is good, and you have to be a lot more consistent and smart when you are playing in order to succeed. There is an entirely different way of thinking when playing at this level. Being a student athlete is a whole lot different, as well. We miss a lot of class and we have to be diligent with staying on top of our work and schedules.”  

Dumity, who’s from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif., is a Biomedical Sciences Major projected to graduate in the year of 2022. She hopes to also attend graduate school. Dumity has been playing volleyball since elementary school and has always loved the competition and teamwork.  

“I wanted to play for TAMU-CC because of the competitive record the volleyball program has had and the positive atmosphere from the coaches and players,” said Dumity. “Our team has had its ups and downs, however, as the season has gone on, we have grown closer to one another because we have all experienced the same things. This helps our team stay positive as we have stayed very optimistic about our entire season and have set our team goals to win conference tournament and win first round NCAA tournament.”  

As Dumity said, “The main thing that our team emphasizes is effort.” With effort being in the team, there is a high chance that their record will improve within the next few games.  

Both Carter and Dumity agree that the toughest match that they have come across with this season has been the LSU Tigers. Both also said that since this preseason game, the team has grown and made efforts to develop and learn from their mistakes in preperation for their next upcoming games. To find out when the next Islander Volleyball game is, please visit, https://www.goislanders.com, for more information!  

Go Islanders!