‘A Star is Born:’ Lady Gaga hits all the notes in first feature film

Promotional still from “A Star is Born,” premiering Oct. 5th. Cooper (left) will be playing famous songwriter Jackson-Maine and Gaga (right) will play Ally. Image courtesy of My Nation

Harley Fonseca
Reporter 

Not many people are fans of remakes. It wouldn’t make sense to see a film that has been made three times, so some would ask themselves if seeing the new remake for “A Star is Born,” directed by actor Bradley Cooper (known for “The Hangover” and “American Sniper”) is even worth seeing. Besides, the last leading woman to follow Judy Garland was the legendary Barbra Streisand. This 2018 version is a special one because it will be starring Lady Gaga as Cooper’s musical prodigy and future love interest.  

The first version of “A Star is Born” came out in 1937, starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March, followed by Judy Garland and James Mason in 1954, and Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson in 1976. Out of all female artists, people might question why Gaga was chosen for the lastest version.  

“It seems like every generation, this film gets made with the biggest star of that era,” said Theatre major Russell Aguirre. “You had Garland and Streisand in their eras, so it only makes sense for Lady Gaga to take up  

the mantle.” 

Lee Alvarado, Theatre major and dedicated Little Monster (fan of Gaga) is excited to see what Gaga is bringing to the big screen. 

“I’m excited for when she plays the mousey ‘before she’s a star’ scenes,” explained Alvarado, “because it’s so different from her onstage persona. Gaga is a classically trained actress who brings a unique take to this reiteration of ‘A Star Is Born.’ It doesn’t feel like a remake but more of a reimagining of a classic tale.”  

Before Gaga became the actress she is today, she was always known to audiences as the singer who made a mark in music history. Gaga’s first single “Just Dance” came out about a decade ago. It wasn’t until her memorable performance of “Paparazzi” at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards that pushed Gaga to become a household name.  

Before becoming Gaga, Stephanie Joanne Angelina Germanotta was born and raised in New York City where possibilities are endless and the competition to become noticed in the industry was ruthless. Throughout her career, Gaga has made an impact in music history, collaborating with huge artists like Beyoncé, using her platform to speak out on political issues.  

Jonathan Van Meter interviewed Gaga about “A Star is Born” for Vogue Magazine, discussing topics like how Cooper came to Gaga to offer her the part after seeing her perform a cover of Edith Piaf’s “La Vie en Rose” at a cancer benefit. “The second that I saw him, I was like, ‘Have I known you my whole life?’” said Gaga. It was an instant connection, instant understanding of one another.”  

“A Star is Born” premiers on Oct. 5th, so be sure to experience a movie with live songs to see exactly why Lady Gaga’s performance was deserving of the 8-minute standing ovation she received after the film’s premier in Venice, Italy. Forbes magazine predicts it to win the Oscar for Best Picture this year, so until then, all we can do is go gaga over Gaga.