Islander take action against domestic violence

The Associate Dean of Students’ Office has many events planned for this Domestic 

Violence Prevention and Awareness Month. Image courtesy of Associate Dean of Students’ Office

The Associate Dean of Students’ Office has many events planned for this Domestic  Violence Prevention and Awareness Month. Image courtesy of Associate Dean of Students’ Office

Caleigh Sowder
Copy Editor

The month of October is here and with it comes education and knowledge on intimate partner violence through Domestic Violence Prevention and Awareness Month. The Associate Dean of Students’ Office is planning multiple events throughout the month of October to educate students on the issue of domestic, dating and intimate partner violence. 

Associate Dean of Students Angel Walker says that their goal is to educate students on the issue of violence in our local and broader communities. 

“(We want) to bring attention to the problem of intimate partner violence and provide opportunities for students to engage in healthy conversations about these issues,” said Walker, “hopefully leading to active participation in local, state and federal changes in our laws and policies.” 

Walker believes that students need to get away from avoiding these conversations and take a more active role. 

“We have to move away from, ‘It’s not my problem or my business,’” said Walker. “Instead, we have to Step UP! and overcome the natural inclination to remain a bystander.” 

There will be several events held at TAMU-CC in honor of this month, including some new ones that haven’t been held before: 

Coffee & Conversations – Oct. 4, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Hector P. Garcia Plaza 

“Come join in on the conversation,” said Walker, “over free coffee and deserts as students, staff and faculty facilitate a discussion about domestic violence and its implication on society.” 

Painting for Awareness with Sofia – Oct. 11, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., UC Bayview 320 

“Sofia Rodriguez will lead a painting class with an original design to generate awareness of domestic violence,” said Walker. “Participants will be provided with a giveaway bag containing information about campus and community resources and services and promotional door prizes. The event will also feature an educational presentation on domestic violence by a representative from the University Counseling Center.” 

TAMU-CC Speaks Out – Oct. 17, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., UC Ballroom Anchor CD“An evening of spoken word, musical performances, monologues and artistry aimed at educating the campus community about domestic violence,” said Walker. 

If you would like to perform, auditions will be on Oct. 9 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in UC Tarpon 323. For more information,  contact Michael La Torre at, [email protected], or through his phone 361-825-6219. 

Cost of Poverty Experience (COPE) – Oct. 27, 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., UC Anchor Ballroom A, B, C, and D 

“COPE is an immersive role-play learning experience,” said Walker, “that gives participants an opportunity to experience poverty first hand through the eyes of real people who have lived life facing its challenges. Participants will walk away with a deeper understanding of the impact it can have on families and communities. This event is free (and) open to students, staff and faculty. Space is limited to the first 75 registrants. To register, please go to I-Engage and search the COPE to RSVP.” 

Through these events, Walker hopes that students will become more educated about domestic violence to help combat it. 

“Education is an essential key to combat domestic violence,” said Walker. “We hope the campus community will support our endeavors to wipe out domestic violence in our community.” 

For more information about the upcoming events being held on campus, make sure to go to check out, https://dvpam.tamucc.edu.