‘The Haunting of Hill House’ review

‘The Haunting of Hill House’ review

Promotional picture for “The Haunting of Hill House.” Available on Netflix since Oct. 12, this show has been rated 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. David Griffith of IGN gave the series a rating of 9.5/10, calling it

Promotional picture for “The Haunting of Hill House.” Available on Netflix since Oct. 12, this show has been rated 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. David Griffith of IGN gave the series a rating of 9.5/10, calling it "a superb and terrifying family drama." Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/12/netflixs-the-haunting-of-hill-house-season-1-review

By Harley Fonseca
Rating: 4/5

ause “The Office,” you’ve seen that episode over 20 times already! Stop watching “Friends” for just a second and listen to your Netflix recommendations every once in a while! Surely Netflix has already shown you an array of movies, especially now that Halloween is coming up. If you haven’t tuned into the latest horror/drama hit, “The Haunting of Hill House,” I have to ask: why haven’t you seen it yet? 

This show has only been out for a few days, so I totally understand if you haven’t had the chance to watch an episode but listen: this is one of the perfect things to watch this Halloween season. Giving you plenty of jump scares and tense situations that leave you nearly pulling your hair out in frustration, all while slowly putting the pieces together of the family’s central issue in every episode. Once you’ve watched at least the first episode, you’ll be grateful that Netflix cuts their end credits shorter for you so you can say, “Put the next episode on already!”  

“The Haunting of Hill House” gives you different perspectives from the lives of the Crain Family. Parents Hugh and Olivia (played by Carla Gugino, known for her iconic role from “Spy Kids”) live in different houses with their five children, Steven, Shirley, Theodora and twins Luke and Nellie. While residing in a mansion they are flipping, Olivia and each of the children experience their own terrifying paranormal hauntings, causing emotional and mental damage later in their adult lives.  

Not only does the show give the children their own individual episode to show flashbacks of their childhoods, but you can’t help but feel like these kids are your siblings, and you get an understanding of what emotional baggage they carry.  

One perfect example would be Theodora Crain, played by Kate Siegel (“Hush,” Netflix). Theodora’s background is revealed in the third episode “Touch,” explaining the reason behind her character wearing gloves all the time.  

Of course, I’m not the type to spoil things, so you just need to watch “The Haunting of Hill House” and see for yourself! The only thing I suggest while watching the show would be to look out for ghosts in the background of each episode. It’s like a mini scavenger hunt while watching this series!