‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ review

+The+cast+of+%E2%80%9CRocky+Horror%E2%80%9D+performing+the+infamous+%E2%80%9CTime+Warp%E2%80%9D+dance+after+curtain+call.

‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ review

The cast of “Rocky Horror” performing the infamous “Time Warp” dance after curtain call.

Harley Fonseca
Reporter

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure whenever you watch a “Rocky Horror” performance. It’s mandatory to have a good time when watching the show. In Corpus Christi, the Aurora Arts Theater has an annual tradition of putting “Rocky Horror Picture Show” in its fall line-up. This year’s show has had incredible feedback. Almost every single show was sold out!  

The cast of “Rocky Horror” can all agree that this show alone has changed their lives, something almost every actor who participates in a “Rocky Horror” show would say. Being cast in “Rocky Horror” will have the actor embrace their sexuality, acting freely when it came to gender roles. 

“It’s been an eye-opening experience,” said Tim Garcia, who played one of the Phantoms in the show. “Never in my life have I met a group of such talented and eclectic individuals who care for the experience so much that they dedicate this much free-time and energy toward it. Their personalities bleed through every performance! I would do it all over again.”  

“I had never done Rocky before,” said Elizabeth Enriquez, a TAMU-CC alumna. “I have actually never seen it. I’ve heard about it but never knew what it was about until I was cast. I had watched the movie for the first time and was so confused, but after doing the show, you come to understanding it a lot more. Performing ‘Rocky’ was such an experience that I believe every actor should go through at least once.” 

“I’ve only seen the movie once before,” said Brian West, who starred in the show as Frank-N-Furter, “and it seemed like a weird indie cult movie until you actually find the part and the meaning behind it. At the end of the day, it’s almost like a Greek tragedy. How one man can rise to an occasion only for him to fall in the end.” 

“Rocky Horror,” was written by the famous screenplay writer, Richard O’Brian. Since its original production in 1973, “Rocky Horror” has been considered a Halloween tradition to theaters across the globe. During its evolution, the audience became more involved in the show, shouting things at the actors like “slut!” anytime the character Janet’s name is mentioned. 

“I was and probably never will be used to the audience call-outs during the show,” said Enriquez. “But it makes you a better actor for staying in character and keeping up the illusion. It made me feel like I had all the freedom to be as crazy or as ‘sexy’ as I wanted to be since the show is so fluid when it comes to sexuality and gender.” 

In “Rocky Horror,” the story revolves around Brad Majors and Janet Weiss, a newly engaged couple whose car breaks down, forcing them to take refuge in an ominous mansion during a storm. However, one of the most anticipated roles to see in the show would be that of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, who was originally played by Tim Curry, who not only slayed the role in the 1973 – ‘75 London and Broadway productions, but also in the film version. 

“What’s interesting about Frank is how masculine he is,” said West. “Even though he’s a transvestite, he is one of the more manlier men in the entire cast. Frank is someone who’s constantly looking for a mate. He’s attractive to both men and women. Mick Jagger was originally up for the role over Tim Curry, and I wanted to channel Jagger’s mannerisms for the part.” 

West is a former TAMU-CC Theatre student who always had a love for theatre. Completely slaying the role as Frank-N-Furter, West had audiences on their feet when it came to curtain call. Having been the lead in “Footloose,” West admits that that being in “Rocky Horror” was a  life-changing experience in comparison. 

“I didn’t expect to get the role,” West said. “I just auditioned for the fun of it, and when I was cast as Frank, I was blown away. It’s literally the role of a lifetime for any actor. I just want to express how much I loved the role. I was at a wedding for two weeks and I was craving to play Frank again. 

“In society, we put a lot of pressure on women to be beautiful and perfect. After strutting in those heels and full makeup for seven weeks running, I understand the struggle of how women have to go through to please everyone. In the bird kingdom, it is usually the male birds that have the beautiful feathers. Question is: Why don’t we put more pressure on men and less on women?”