Bigger things coming for TAMU-CC Women’s Basketball

Images courtesy of Chad Keys, Giana Wright, #1, a power forward for the TAMU-CC Women’s Basketball Team. 

McKeila Rodriguez
Reporter

The TAMU-CC women’s basketball team is ready to take on this 2018-2019 season with new challenges and team goals. It is obvious that the heart of the university is in basketball, therefore these ladies are committed to living up to their full potential and showing that they are ready to blow out the Southern Conference record. 

Last season, the Lady Islanders team went 11-7 in the Southern Conference, with their overall record being 19-12. This was a season where the Islanders sought improvement and learned to take their experiences as lessons, motivating them to have a new team goal and new set ideas for the 2018-2019 basketball season. 

Giana Wright, a sophomore studying Psychology, is a power forward for the Islanders basketball team. This is Wright’s second year playing for TAMU-CC. Last season, Wright did not get as much playing time, but was able to learn from other players on and off the court. Wright played a minimal amount of six minutes in two games and grabbed one rebound in each of those games. Although her TAMU-CC appearance was not as expected last season, Wright has new goals this season to improve and show her full potential. 

“My personal goal for this season is to be more consistent,” Wright said. “I have a lot of attributes that will help this team, so I’ve been working on finding my niche and capitalizing on that.” 

The Lady Islanders have been working hard since the summer and were able to play a practice scrimmage against the TAMU-CC men’s basketball team, where officials were able to come in and referee a game for them. 

“I think them team as a whole is ready for the season to start,” Wright said. “We are excited to show everyone what we have been working for this whole pre-season, starting from the summertime.  

“Our plan to conquer the Southland Conference is to play harder than any other team. We have the talent for something great this year and need to stay locked in to accomplish this goal.” 

Brianna Jackson, a senior studying Criminal Justice and minoring in Sports Management, is a shooting guard for the basketball team. Both Wright and Jackson agree that the team’s main focus is to become a mid-major breakthrough team and win a conference championship. 

The 2017-2018 season was not the season Jackson expected. She suffered a season-ending injury, causing her to only play three games. Jackson’s main goal this season is to stay healthy.  

Besides the 2017-2018 season, Jackson had tremendous stats in her junior year (2016-2017), averaging 4.5 points a game and 1.8 rebounds per game. Jackson played 31 games and started in seven games. This is Jackson’s third year playing for TAMU-CC. Before she transferred, she played two consecutive years for Independence Community College. 

“Our practices are competitive,” Jackson said. “Everybody is trying to earn playing time. I think we focus offense and defense equally. We make each other better.” 

Even though Jackson is still recovering from her injury, she plans on showing her true dominance on the court and in practice. Jackson was not able to participate in the scrimmage, but she still showed great sportsmanship by supporting her team. 

“I did not play the scrimmage,” said Jackson, “but from just looking at the team, I definitely think it gave them a feel for what the first game will actually be like. We play hard and we will give you everything we have each night. We will be a tough team to beat.” 

The Lady Islanders are excited for their first game on Tuesday, Nov. 6, against the University of Texas -St. Thomas in the American Bank Center. 

For more information, updates, stats and to view their full schedule, please visit, http://www.goislanders.com, or download the A&M Corpus Christi Islanders App.