International Games Day a welcome distraction from finals

Image+courtesy+of+Mathew+Tamez.+Students+gather+in+the+library+for+their+chance+to+compete+in+video+game+tournaments.+

Image courtesy of Mathew Tamez. Students gather in the library for their chance to compete in video game tournaments.

Matthew Tamez
Reporter

With video games being projected onto the walls and an impressively large chess set in the corner, International Games Day was held on the second floor of the Bell Library this previous Saturday. Goers were able to enjoy an assortment of games to choose from on the Wii, Playstation 4 and Xbox 1, as well as an escape room, with Saturday having been their final day with the room open. 

Games available to play on these consoles included “Super Smash Bros. Brawl,” “Injustice 2,” “Red Dead Redemption 2,” “Mario Kart” and “Minecraft.” 

Along with the video games available to play, there were also a selection of tabletop games to play as well that included “Taboo,” “Clue,” “Wits and Wagers,” “Mad Gab” and giant chess. 

Island Waves managed to shadow two separate runs through the escape room. One group managed to escape by the skin of their teeth while the other group ran over on time. Both groups said they had a great time in the room. Father and son Carlos and Armando Martinez emerged from the Escape room saying “we had a great time.” This was their first time coming to the International Games Day and they plan on returning next year.  

Library worker Phebe Leach was working during her third time at the International Games Day events. While she’s on the job during the event, she said she has fun every year.  

This year’s event saw a rather sizeable amount of visitors, with the sounds of gunfire from games like “Call of Duty,” and applause and explosions from “Super Smash Bros,” nobody seemed to find themselves with nothing to do.