Tamales, not turkey

Tamales, not turkey

Poster for Corpus Christi Tamale Fest.

Poster for Corpus Christi Tamale Fest.

Poster for Corpus Christi Tamale Fest.

Poster for Corpus Christi Tamale Fest.

Jessie Monsivais
Social Media Editor

Thanksgiving traditions vary throughout the country, but local South Texans know that tamales are a staple holiday food. Bringing in the holidays right is the 4th annual Corpus Christi Hot Tamale Festival on Nov. 17, 2018, from 12 p.m.-10 p.m., located Downtown from the 300-400 block of N. Chaparral. The festival showcases South Texas’ best tamales where visitors can stock up for the holidays from nine different tamale vendors. This year, the festival has added festival goers to vote for who they think represents Corpus Christi’s Best Tamale in Show.   

The festival is brought to you by Enrich Local, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization created to help raise proceeds for different charitable endeavors every year. Their mission is to promote cultural awareness in the local community through music, art and cuisine. This year, profits from the Corpus Christi Hot Tamale Festival will benefit CCISD Mariachis in various school’s Fine Arts departments. The proceeds help with music sheets, travel costs, mariachi trajes and general supplies. All contributions to their cause are also tax deductible. 

“We want to help the CCISD Fine Arts Department provide the tools needed to educate our kids in the arts,” said Adrian Tello, founder of the organization and event. “Most of all to support our kids in mariachis in schools across Corpus Christi, as well as support local restaurants, local arts and crafts, vendors and local music.” 

A total of 15 food vendors will be in attendance this year as well as arts and crafts merchants, a tamale prep demo and live performances by Ballet Folklorico, Chicas Rock, Splendiferous, DJ Johnny Hotcakes and The Fun Daze. Also included is Corpus Christi’s Hot Tamale eating contests where contestants compete to see who can eat a dozen hot tamales the fastest. The winner will be awarded a coveted CC Hot Tamale Tumbler.  

“As a member of the tamale festival planning committee,” said Amanda Horne, TAMU-CC’s Library Specialist II, “I love being involved in this event because it showcases one of the great food traditions of South Texas: tamales! Plus, in addition to being a great place to sample tamales, the festival gives back to the community.”