CNN reporter banned from the White House

White House makes serious accusations against Acosta.

November 16, 2018

CNN’s Chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta had his press badge revoked by the White House after allegedly assaulting an intern during a heated debate. According to an article by CNN, Acosta is banned “until further notice.”

Reporters spoke with President Trump after the midterm elections. Tensions rose when Acosta challenged the president on his comments regarding a Central American migrant caravan. Despite backlash from the president, Acosta refused to sit down or hand over the microphone to others for further questions.

When a White House intern was sent to retrieve the microphone, Acosta refused to hand the microphone over. President Trump responded by calling Acosta a “rude, terrible person.”

The incident caused Acosta to be stripped of his credentials and denied access to White House by a Secret Service officer. The White House released an altered video of the incident alleging that Acosta “assaulted” the White House intern.

Video courtesy of gaurdiannews.

“The whole thing is ridiculous,” said Michelle Blake, junior Finance major. “Nowhere in the video is an assault of any kind.”According to an article by NYtimes.com, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders claimed that Acosta placed “his hands on a young woman.” Sander’s statements push the incident to be one based on gender. However, many feel the real issue is that President Trump deciding to strip Acosta of his credentials and ban him from the White House is a threat to democracy.

According to the same article, the American Civil Liberties Union said, “It is unacceptable and un-American for the president to expel a reporter for doing his job aggressively. … The White House should reverse its decision immediately.”

CNN is currently suing President Trump over the incident. The lawsuit claims that Acosta’s ban is a violation of the First and Fifth Amendment and CNN is seeking to restore Acosta’s credentials. A decision has yet to be reached.