Graduate: yes. Job: not yet.

Graduate: yes. Job: not yet.

hoto courtesy of Islanduniversity.smugmug.com/TAMU-CC MARCOM

Nancy Salinas (left) helps student Paul Neelley organize his resume during Career Services “Rock Your Resume.”

hoto courtesy of Islanduniversity.smugmug.com/TAMU-CC MARCOM Nancy Salinas (left) helps student Paul Neelley organize his resume during Career Services “Rock Your Resume.”

Jessie Monsivais
Social Media Editor

After all the graduation festivities have settled, many new graduates struggle to find a job. Preparing a resume when applying for that first job might feel like the hardest thing you’ve had to do. What do you write when your part-time job feels so distantly irrelevant to your dream job?

Recent graduates feel encumbered and disadvantaged in a competitive job market because they lack experience. By attaining a college degree, the odds of being hired improve more than 50 percent. According to The Fiscal Times, “Americans age 25 to 34 with a four-year degree have a startling low unemployment rate of 2.1 percent, compared to seven percent for those without a degree.”

Once you’ve earned your degree, take inventory of what interests you and what skills you may have acquired from your education and employment.

Nancy Salinas, from Career Services, said, “(If you’ve done) an internship, you want to make sure your resume is reflective of doing that internship. Many times, those internships turn into full-time positions or give you related experience to get that job.”

If you haven’t done an internship, find ways to make your skills and experiences relevant to the job you’re applying for. A resume can be a useful marketing tool to promote yourself. Tailor your resume to the specific company and job description to which you’re applying. Also, be sure to use your degree and coursework to emphasize terms that may be relevant.

Salinas recommends, “using the words of the field on a resume and cover letter.”

Salinas gives an example of applying for a graphic design position. Provide samples of articles you’ve created, such as business cards. Salinas shares advice to use language such as, “I utilized (this software program) to create and design, (or implement) graphics.”

Customize your resume to highlight your degree and coursework that may be relevant. List your skills and knowledge, and own what you’ve acquired throughout your years of education. For example, emphasize leadership roles you achieved, such as making a significant contribution through a club or Greek organization.

The format of your resume should establish your brand. Include information of a personal website or LinkedIn profile to allow employers to get a sense of your candidacy. Be concise and professional by using easy to read bullet points and appropriate spacing to avoid overwhelming amounts oftext.

Lastly, always review your resume to ensure consistent details and correct grammar. Career Services on campus offers career counseling services such as resume building and interview practice. Contact their office at 361-825-2628 for more information or to schedule an appointment.