TAMU-CC ranked 3rd in country for application spike

Raul Alonzo, Reporter

According to a recent study by 24/7 Wall Street, more students have their eyes set on Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi as a prime destination. The study also showed a spike in Island University applicants. Over the past five years, TAMU-CC was ranked third in the country for number of applications received by a university.

TAMU-CC saw a 153.4 percent increase between the 2011-12 and 2016-17 school years, bested only by the University of Memphis, Tenn. (218.7 percent), and Grand Canyon University, Ariz. (377.8 percent).

Staff said it may be the unique outreach and programming, as well as small class sizes, that prospective students find attractive.

The recruitment network the university boasts stretches to many corners of the state, including the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Houston, Austin/Central Texas area, San Antonio, the Rio Grande Valley and the Coastal Bend said Oscar Reyna, the Executive Director of Recruitment and Admissions at TAMU-CC. In addition, two positions were added a year ago to focus on the recruitment of transfer and graduate students.

“What makes us unique,” said Reyna, “and what we take pride in is that we make it a very personal experience for our students. We want to make sure that we’re able to offer a number of events students can take advantage of.”

Some of these events include high school campus visits where recruitment counselors can speak to certain classes or set up a table to distribute literature. Reyna said they want to take it even further.

“We want to be able to say, ‘Look, we’re not only here to hand out information to you,’” said Reyna, “’We want to make sure that we’re able to answer questions you have, that we’re able to help you with the actual application process.’”

Reyna said recruiters sometimes hold application workshops at high school campuses where students are walked through the application process.

Campus events also bring prospective students to the university as part of recruitment outreach. Besides frequent campus tours, events like Island Day help prospective students get acquainted with TAMU-CC.

“Many times, it’s when they get to campus and they experience the culture on campus,” said Reyna, “the friendliness of the faculty and staff, and they get to sit in on those mock lectures that they’re able to see what the environment is like on campus.”

Reyna said another big draw is the student-faculty ratio. According to the TAMU-CC website, the ratio between students and faculty is 23:1.

“For students who want that personal approach or that personal experience where that faculty member knows them by name,” said Reyna, “they get to experience that. Many times that is what draws them to the university.”

It’s a sentiment echoed by Dr. Clarenda Phillips, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, whose office documents some of the factors that help students succeed at the Island University.

“We have a highly-engaged faculty,” said Phillips, “who care about students and what students are learning.”

About the Writer