TAMU-CC ladies’ soccer season ends

TAMU-CC ladies’ soccer season ends

Image courtesy of Islander Athletics/TAMU-CC
Islander athletes Ashley Hamilton, #24, and Abby Deakin, #19, attempt to get past University of Texas defense.

Image courtesy of Islander Athletics/TAMU-CC Islander athletes Ashley Hamilton, #24, and Abby Deakin, #19, attempt to get past University of Texas defense.

McKeila Rodriguez
Reporter

It has been a season of ups and downs for the Lady Islanders Soccer team. This 2018-2019 season has been a rough patch, but the ladies do not give up and show that they can fight to the finish.

The Islanders have an overall record of five wins, eight losses and three ties, and a Southland Conference record of two wins, seven losses, and two ties, leading to a total of 16 games this season.

They ended their 2018-2019 season with a terrible loss against the Houston Baptist University 0-1, but that did not stop them from wanting to do better next season. Although their season was not as great as expected, it has motivated freshmen on the team have stepped up and are ready to take their game to their next level.

Ashley Hamilton, a junior from Dallas majoring in Biology and minoring in Environmental Science, has showed her true passion for soccer and has motivated her team to not give up as she understands that being a student athlete is a very challenging experience. Her enthusiasm to get better as a player motivated the team to set personal team goals and establish a great communication with every team member.

“We had a bunch of small goals because we set team goals for every season,” said Hamilton. “Like number of wins and shout outs and things, but our main goal as a team this season was really to increase the intensity, competitiveness and desire of the girls in the team. To play with heart, you know, to fight. And I think we really pulled together and did that, even though a lot of results didn’t go our way.”

Hamilton has been playing for two and a half years and just finished her third season. Hamilton noticed a lot of dramatic change since she has been playing. She mentioned a lot of positive outcomes have been established since her freshman year. Hamilton was also selected first team all-district.

“I absolutely love the coaching staff,” said Hamilton. “I think they’ve really worked really hard to help this program around. And we have our differences because you don’t always get the playing time you want or you don’t agree with all of their decisions. But I genuinely believe in them and their vision for the team. I think there is a huge difference in the level of play since my freshman year.”

The Islanders are motivated to be part of the Southland Conference tournament next season as they have a plan to improve. With a lot of freshmen on the team this season, their experience will build up and become easier for the ladies to share the same goal. Everyone wants to win and wants to achieve their goals as both a player and student. The Lady Islanders soccer team showed everyone to always stay positive no matter what your record is and learn that there is always room for improvement next season, and with new people trying out, there will be new talent and charisma in the program.