Students take time adjusting to DUO

Students take time adjusting to DUO

DUO sign on screen giving student the option to send a push notification, call or enter a passcode.

Jonathan Garcia
Reporter

DUO two-factor authentication unleashed its last wave of students on Nov. 14, having them add an extra layer of security.

Originally started in spring 2017 with faculty and staff members, DUO began for students on Oct. 24, adding an extra layer of security for their Blackboard and SAIL accounts. With many hackers attempting to phish on student’s accounts, compromising their passwords, the IT department had students sign up for this two-factor authentication.

Students download the app on Google Play or the Apple App Store and set up their cellular device to access their Blackboard and SAIL accounts by having a code sent to them by text, phone call, a push notification through the DUO app, or a W2P key to access their accounts. With this new security measure out to all students, there has been a mixed reception.

Armando Ruiz, Mathematics major, previously signed up for DUO for his Human Resources job and experienced issues with using his phone number from Mexico.

“Sometimes when you try to log in using the call system,” said Ruiz, “it’s hard for me to do that.”

HR has helped Ruiz with his account numerous times but his cellular device died, resulting in him losing his account. Ruiz stated that he utilizes his laptop to access his Islander email and if he has to access Blackboard, he selects the option where he doesn’t have to access through DUO.

Shay Pitman, junior Nursing major, felt that DUO makes things more difficult.

“For someone who has to be in Blackboard frequently and taking exams online,” said Pitman, “having to have your phone there while taking it adds an extra step that isn’t necessary for daily assignments.”

Jayden Bongiorno, English major, felt that the two-factor authentication wasn’t an inconvenience to him.

“It sends me a notification,” said Bongiorno. “I just click it to the left and push approve and it’s just like that. Only takes a couple of seconds.”

Bongiorno felt the two-factor authentication didn’t really change logging in that much, that it still feels the same as it did before.