SGA holds townhall meeting

SGA holds townhall meeting

Photo by Matthew Tamez/ISLAND WAVES
SGA President Connar Allen hosting the SGA Town hall meeting.

Photo by Matthew Tamez/ISLAND WAVES SGA President Connar Allen hosting the SGA Town hall meeting.

Matthew Tamez
Reporter

This previous Friday, the TAMU-CC Student Government Association held a townhall meeting. SGA President, Connar Allen, hosted the meeting with mission statement, “We are working with the university to improve academics and career readiness. We need your feedback and stories to help us improve our university.”

Among the things that students had concerns about was the universities honors system.

“There needs to be more communication about the opportunity to grow the program,” said Sarina Garcia, the Speaker of the Senate, “and actually get something out of it other than putting on my resume that I basically minored in honors.”

“That is a big thing we are working on,” Allen said in response. “… We are actually going to have an event in the spring to tell more about honors.”

Some of the students also had grievances with advising and the high turnaround rate that they have with advisors. Some students say that they, because of the turnaround rate, haven’t seen the same advisor more than once.

“(My advisor) registered me for the wrong seminar.” Garcia said. “She registered me for all these crazy classes that I didn’t need to take.”

These are just a few of the things that students had to say during the meeting. The SGA will be bringing these to the attention of the administration in a group effort to improve upon our university.