TAMU-CC Theatre Department channels their inner William Shakespeare

Photo courtesy of photos.tamucc.edu/TAMU-CC MAR COM
From left to right: Kristina Gabriela as Ariel, a spirit; Austin Brady as Trinculo, servant of Alonso; Sean Morillo as Stephano, Alonzo’s Butler; Marcus Anthony Nealy as Caliban, servant to Prospero

Photo courtesy of photos.tamucc.edu/TAMU-CC MAR COM From left to right: Kristina Gabriela as Ariel, a spirit; Austin Brady as Trinculo, servant of Alonso; Sean Morillo as Stephano, Alonzo’s Butler; Marcus Anthony Nealy as Caliban, servant to Prospero

Sierra Lutz
Editor-in-Chief

The TAMU-CC Theatre Department showcases a Shakespearean play each academic year. This year’s play of choice was “The Tempest.” This romantic tragicomedy ran from Nov. 13 – 18 in the Warren Theatre.

Shakespeare plays are always a challenge both to perform and understand due to the drastically different way of speaking. Because of this, it is always amazing to watch the Islanders cast in the play showcase all their hard work.

Also because of the difficult Shakespearean language, the actions and mannerisms of the cast are key to helping convey the plot of the play and guide the audience through the scenes smoothly.

I had personally never read or seen “The Tempest” before, and thus had no preconceived notionto what the play was about. I needn’t worry though because the play was a true delight to experience.

In my opinion, the stars of the show were the spirits that cavorted around the stage in the strangest fashion, causing delighted laughter from the crowd, and myself, every time they appeared. Austin Brady as Trinculo also joyfully captured the audience from the moment he waddled, yes waddled, on stage in his bright orange tights to the moment he waddled off in a beautifully bedazzled dress.

Additionally, the lead of the performance, Jacob Salazar as Prospero, the former Duke of Milan, did a wonderful job portraying a mysterious sorcerer and delivered his lines through various monologues and soliloquies very well.

Overall, the play went quite well. There were a few minor hiccups, but none of them steal from the dedication and hard work shown in the fluidity of the performance.

Compared to last year’s performance of “Titus Andronicus,” Shakespeare’s bloodiest play, it was nice to see a romantic comedy that didn’t end in mass murder, showing the brighter side of Shakespeare.

The Theatre Department continues to deliver successful performances each semester. If you have not seen a performance by the Theatre Department, I encourage you to keep an eye out for their joint production of “Mamma Mia!” with the Harbor Playhouse coming in spring 2019. All Performances will be held at The Harbor Playhouse running from Mar. 7 – 31.