South Texas Underground Film Festival kicks off tonight

Image courtesy of the South Texas Underground Film Festival Facebook page.

Raul Alonzo, Reporter

Lovers of independent film will have four days to indulge as the South Texas Underground Film Festival (STUFF) kicks off its seventh installment tonight at 7 p.m. This year, the festival will be based at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema and features hundreds of films from around the world in a wide range of different genres.

Local and regional filmmakers will also be screening their works, including TAMU-CC campus videographer and faculty John Darbonne. Darbonne’s 2018 film “Dead Man’s Fuel” will be shown as part of a Narrative Shorts block starting at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday.

“It’ll be interesting to see how people receive it,” Darbonne said. “It’s pretty dense as far as the dialogue goes. It’ll be interesting to see if it wears people out or not.”

This will be Darbonne’s first time screening the film at STUFF after it previously made rounds at the California Independent Film Festival, the Chicago Underground Film Festival and various festivals in Europe. For Darbonne, having a festival helps shed more light on the artistic community Corpus Christi boasts.

“One of the things that really drew me to Corpus is that it really is kind of an artsy little city,” Darbonne said. “It’s really rare to find a town that is on the water that isn’t overdeveloped anymore. I just think that it’s a great little art community, and I think the fim festival can bring a lot of exposure to that.”

According to this year’s program, STUFF will host 10 world premieres, 6 U.S. premieres, 26 Texas premieres and 11 regional premieres. Festival goers will also have the opportunity to meet and network with directors, actors and other industry members. For Darbonne, the festival presents a particularly good outlet for TAMU-CC students.

“I would just hope the students come out and support local film here, in particular the film students and the theatre people,” Darbonne said. “I think we have a good opportunity to make this a little artist college.”

STUFF 2019 runs from Jan. 24 to 27. Festival passes or tickets for individual days or premieres can be purchased at, http://www.stuff-film-festival.ticketbud.com. Programs and schedules can be found at, http://www.stuftx.org.