Photo by Sierra Lutz, Island Waves. Supporters of the PERIOD movement march across campus to spread awareness chanting, "Hey, hey! Ho, ho! Period poverty has got to go!"

Period poverty has got to go

January 24, 2019

On Thursday, Jan. 24, the Islander Feminists held a march across campus to spread awareness and end period poverty.

In December of 2018, the Islander Feminists began a petition to bring free period products on campus, and today, they got to not only spread awareness but also received the good news that products will be coming soon.

“We are actually already in the process of making that happen,” said TAMU-CC president, Kelly Quintanilla. “So, we’ve begun the process. We’re going through all the logistics, identifying the buildings with the most traffic, the logistics of who will put them there, making sure they’re stocked, and then, of course, we have identified several different sources for the funding.”

“It is a relatively low cost,” continued Quintanilla, “but just making sure we have the funding in place. At the very latest, we will have it rolled out by next fall, but if we can get it in place sooner we will definitely do that.”

Photo by Sierra Lutz, Island Waves. These marchers are not “overyacting,” and are excited about bringing free period products on campus.

Tori Foss, the social media manager for the Islander Feminists, was glad to see how her organization is making waves across campus and meeting students’ needs.

“We’re happy that we were able to partner with PERIOD Corpus Christi,” said Foss, “and get things going and that it actually made a difference on our campus. … I think it will be really beneficial, especially for the students who are probably here on financial aid or other scholarships who can’t afford things like period products.”

Ashley Arevalo, president of PERIOD Corpus Christi and Islander Alumna, was at the march and was glad that she could make a difference on the campus even after graduating.

“It is to spread awareness about period poverty,” said Arevalo. “That is an issue all over the world, so that is what I hope to spread awareness for. … I think people who don’t have periods … they don’t see how necessary pads and tampons are. They might think of it as a luxury, but everyone with periods knows that it means a lot to have them on campus.”

Photo by Sierra Lutz, Island Waves. Islanders, staff, faculty and community members come to support the PERIOD Movement on TAMU-CC’s campus.

Quintanilla also mentioned that they will be partnering with the Islander Green Team on this initiative in hopes to maintain a “green” campus.

“One of our campus initiatives is to be as environmentally friendly as possible,” said Quintanilla. “So, with this initiative, we are working with them (Islander Green Team) to make sure that the products we offer will all be environmentally friendly products. And so, we are working with that group to ensure that we are meeting both initiatives at once.”