2019 Oscars Best Picture Nominees review

Image+courtesy+of+the+Academy+of+Motion+Picture+Arts+and+Sciences.+Eight+films+will+compete+tonight+for+the+title+of+Best+Picture.+

Image courtesy of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Eight films will compete tonight for the title of Best Picture.

Nicholas Mireles, Reporter

With the 91st Academy Awards airing this Sunday, Island Waves News looks back on the eight films nominated for best picture to give a quick recap and review.

“Black Panther”: The most acclaimed comic book movie of 2018, the film follows T’Challa as he is crowned king of the fictional African nation of Wakanda. The world itself is a character in its own right as the country offers a variety of luxurious environments and lavish designs. A true cultural phenomenon, the film offers a rich exploration of what it means to be African.

“Blackkklansman”: Following the hiring of Colorado Spring’s first African-American police office, the film follows young Ron Stallworth in his undercover investigation into the city’s division of the Klu Klux Klan. Director Spike Lee is able to create a strong feature that is fueled by a powerful story and writing. Expertly balancing both a comedic and dramatic tone, the film never loses focus on the reality and severity of the events.

“Bohemian Rhapsody”: Despite being described as a Queen biopic, the film focuses more on lead singer Freddie Mercury and his life both on and off stage. With a masterful performance by Rami Malek, the film successfully plays more as a Queen’s greatest hits album, which is not a bad thing. Malek’s commitment to nail both the personality and movement of Mercury will likely make him a lock for best actor.

“The Favourite”: Set during 18th century England, the film follows an old Queen Anne of Britain as two of her servants heavily battle to be the Queen’s favorite. The movie is a twisted comedy that delves into heavy adult themes of relationships and the control between people. Supported with strong performance from it’s three leads, the film is very outgoing in its willingness to tackle subjects that are not accepted as mainstream.

“Green Book”: Based on the true friendship between Tony Lip and Don Shirley, the film follows the two on a music tour in the south during the civil rights movement. While a well-made film, the movie plays more as a stereotypical awards film with a plot and writing that seem very onenote. Despite this, the film still offers wonderful performances from Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali with the characters and the friendship being the star of the film.

“Roma”: A rich character study about the life of an indigenous worker, the film follows a housekeeper in 1970s México. A painful tale, the story is based off the life of Director Alfonso Cuarón’s childhood nanny, exploring both the role that the main character plays in the people and world around her. Despite it’s dragged out runtime, the film truly shines when it serves as a social commentary on the society of México during the 1970s. With the film being Netflix’s first nominee for best picture, it is likely a guarantee it will win best picture.

“A Star Is Born”: The fourth retelling of the beloved story, the film follows seasoned musician Jackson Maine as he discovers a young and gifted artist. A painful and emotional study about the idea of stardom, relationships and addiction, the movie is brilliantly well made with exceptional performances and memorable songs.

“Vice”: A film exploring the life of former Vice President Dick Cheney, the film is a delight, taking more of a comedic tone similar to director Adam McKay’s previous films. Providing sarcastic comments on the life and accomplishments of Cheney, the film is lead by Christian Bale who went an unhealthy transformation just for the role.

The Oscars will air tonight, Feb. 24, 2019, starting at 7 p.m. on ABC.

About the Writer
Nicholas Mireles, Reporter/Videographer

Freshman, PSA Visualization major who is highly interested in filmography and enjoys reviewing and critiquing movies.