Student debt raises some concerns

Photo courtesy of Matthew Tamez-Infograph on Student Loans over the years

Here we are in the spring semester of 2019, and some of us have to take out student loans just to attend our classes. According to Student Loan Hero, “Among the class of 2018, 69% of college students took out student loans, and they graduated with an average debt of $29,800, including both private and federal debt.”

The U.S. Federal Reserve said there is a total of $1.5 trillion U.S. student loan debt and approximately 44.7 million Americans with student loan debt. Even in a country whose population is roughly 320 million citizens, that is still a staggering number of Americans who have to take out loans just to finish their education.

Students across America have different living conditions. Some students are financed through scholarships and relatives while some are working full-time jobs or even supporting a family while attending classes. Other students view t loans as a last resort.

“I know loans are a big no, …” said Gabbie Chavera, freshman Communication major . “It’s kinda scary how much in debt we are by the time we graduate from college, and then you have to rely on your job. You have to build a family, build a foundation, but then again you have to worry about your loans.”

Many students that graduate with student loan debt find it discouraging.

“What should be a positive after you graduate and come out of college is actually a negative,” said Jacob Rodriguez, a freshman  Nursing major. “All the money you’re about to make is about to go to your loans. Instead of actually making money, you’re losing money for the next 10 or 12 years.”

Student debt has increased to almost one trillion dollars in the last decade alone. Students are beginning to worry about their futures. Entering into a workforce with a sizeable debt is not something that students aspire to do. Although many solutions to the issue have been presented throughout the years, none of them have been successfully incorporated.  Many students hope to see affordable higher education become a reality.

Change has to come from the citizens who desire it. Affordable higher education has been part of many politicians campaigns. Citizens must educate themselves on the issues and vote for those who can make a change. Even after the fact, citizens need to remain in contact with their elected representatives. Change won’t occur if the American people do nothing to initiate it.