TAMU-CC got wild and wacky to spread awareness

Images courtesy of Island Waves, Jada Stringer, Biology major, freshman and Sarah Rogillio, Nursing major, Sophomore, staying safe and having fun in the sun for an appropriate amount of time.

Faith Richards, Podcast Reporter

March 6th was “Wild and Wacky Wednesday.” This event was hosted by the Center for Activities Board (CAB) and I-TEAM, which promotes healthy and inclusive behavior.

At the event, there was free pizza and games as well as freebies from many different organizations. Some of the organizations that were there were The Coastal Bend Wellness Foundation, Project HOPE, The South Texas Family Planning Clinic, The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and several more.

The main purpose of this event is STD/STI Prevention, alcohol and drug knowledge and prevention, as well as suicide awareness and prevention. The University Counseling Center was also in attendance and helped inform students about a new app called TAO.

Jordan Baylor, Communication Major, Freshman knocking out STD’s.

According to the on-campus Counseling Center, “The TAO app offers TAMU-CC students with 24/7 access to mobile-friendly tools that help you feel better and manage your stress.”

The app also offers self-help modules for students struggling with anxiety, relationships, stress, and many other things…

Rebecca Blackburn, Education Major, Sophomore and Anyssa Villanueva, Miramar resident/ coordinator at the Miramar booth

Some other great resources to take advantage of is the discounted health care and psychiatric care at the Coastal Bend Wellness Foundation, They offer care for insured and uninsured patients. They also offer prescription and lab fee assistance for patients who meet income guidelines. The clinic is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

The South Texas Family Planning clinic also offers discounted health care, as well as many other services. Many students who do not have insurance struggle to find healthcare providers that will see them at a reasonable price, so it is reassuring to know that both on and off campus, there are great student resources for mental and physical health.