Photography courtesy of Island Waves, Editing by Taylor White

TAMU-CC encourages electric scooter companies to go through official channels

April 16, 2019

At the end of February, students were surprised to see Lime-S scooters all across the campus. However, shortly after the scooters appeared on campus, they disappeared.

Originally, scooters fell under the same category as bicycles, skateboards and roller blades under the Recreational Transportation Devices and Self Balancing Devices procedure 34.99.99.C0.01. There were certain rules over where they could and could not be ridden and parked.

Regarding the scooters, Connar Allen, the President of the Student Government Association, said, “The current situation right is that the university is considering them an outside vendor. Kind of like how we wouldn’t let McDonald’s come on campus and set up shop without us asking. They are saying that in order to make a profit on our campus, just like with anything else, they need to have a contract with the university.”

Noticeably, the previously mentioned procedure actually prohibits the use of self-balancing devices, such as the electric scooters, in all situations.

“We are trying to encourage them to go through official paths,” said Allen, “but they aren’t the type of company to like long-term commitment.”

The SGA released a survey for students to take during the month of February. Many students said they would use them regardless of any extra safety measures that would need to be added.