Photo contributed by Islander Green Team Green Team Garden – The Islander Green Team works together in the garden located near printing services and will be hosting an event there Friday, April 26, at 9:30 a.m. for Earth Week.

Islander Green Team kicking off Earth Week today

April 22, 2019

The Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Islander Green Team is celebrating Earth Day with the campus by hosting Earth Week around campus.

Originally called Green Week, the name was changed to better coincide with Earth Day.

The Islander Green Team partnered with Islander Dining and the Student Volunteer coordination to put together these events. The week will kick  off at 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, April 22, outside Dining Hall.

“We’re having a huge event with Dining Hall,” said Morgan Bruce, educational outreach officer for the Islander Green Team. “They’re going to have a chalk mural and food.”.

On the next day, the Green Team will be hosting the “Ecosystem and You” event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, at the East Lawn near the University Center. The event will bring people from different areas, including Texas State Parks, TAMU-CC Outdoor Adventures and other organizations, to talk about sustainability. The event will also bring children from the Early Childhood Development Center, which is the highlight for Bruce.

“We’re also including ECDC kids,” said Bruce. “They’re going to be coming out to learn more about Earth Day.”. Bruce also added that she hopes this will be the Green Team’s biggest event and that it will continue every year to educate students about sustainability and the environment.

From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, April 24, at the Dining Hall, the Green Team will be hosting a “Stop Food Waste” event to bring awareness to the food scraps being wasted, gathering them to be composted. At 6 p.m. that day, they will be hosting a DIY Party, which is normally only for members of the Green Team.

“It’s normally exclusive,” said Bruce. “You have to meet core requirements for Islander Green Team, but we’re opening it up to the public.” She also said that  they will have activities such as bottle painting and T-shirt bag making in room 320 in the UC.

The “Sustainabili-tea” event will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, April 25, at the East Lawn where students will get free Teavana iced tea courtesy of Islander Dining.

Earth Week will conclude with the Island Garden Workday from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Friday, April 26, at the Green Team garden next to printing services at the first entrance straight down.

Bruce said the importance of Earth Week is for students to learn.

“Environment is all around us,” said Bruce. “It’s all our planet. We are an island campus.  I would like to show students that the smallest thing can either harm or help. We just got to be aware of our surroundings.”

Island Waves • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x

Comments (0)

All Island Waves Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments