Raul Alonzo Jr./Island Waves – Nashville-based band Arts Fishing Club performs at the Islander Music Festival.

Islander Music Festival provides some pre-finals fun

April 23, 2019

The TAMU-CC East Lawn lit up with vibrant sounds and fair spring weather as the Islander Music Festival invited hundreds of students, faculty, staff and community members to partake in festivities on Thursday, April 18.

The event boasted several vendors, including the Corpus Christi Downtown Farmers Market, and featured four musical acts: the Oddfellas, Antisocial Science, Rockinstein and the Nashville-based Arts Fishing Club.

According to Andrew Jones, head coordinator with the Campus Activities Board (CAB), the event was one of the largest the CAB had put on.

The Islander Music Festival drew crowds of students, staff, faculty and community members to the campus East Lawn

“This year, we decided to go bigger and try and get food vendors, food truck, inflatable bouncing machine,” Jones said. “There was a lot of work. There was a lot of work, and it wasn’t just me but all our event coordinators and our advisor and everyone just put in a lot of work to make it happen. This is the biggest turnout we’ve ever had, so I’m impressed by that. It’s good to see all the work we put into it is drawing a lot more students than we have previously. I’m loving it.”

It’s a sentiment junior Education major Cassie Trevino, who along with several students sat on the grass around the stage enjoying the music, shared.

“The live music, bringing all the students together and the cool environment,” said Revino, “… it provides cool Islander vibes.”

Vendors lined the perimeter of the lawn, peddling everything from freshly-printed T-shirts, balloon animals, small plants and jewelry, as well as disseminating information on various campus and community causes, organizations and nonprofits.

Local magician Val Dino was on hand, creating intricate balloon animals for festival-goers.

Grow Local South Texas, which organizes the Farmers Market, was on-hand educating festival-goers on growing their own food as well as the variety of programs the nonprofit facilitates. According to Michelle Kish, Grow Local Operations/Development Coordinator, the event was one of several the nonprofit takes part in with TAMU-CC.

“We always enjoy coming out to the campus,” Kish said. “A lot of people are interested in growing and have good questions for us.”

For Jones, the event is a way for students to escape, especially with finals looming.

“We just want them to have a good time, mainly,” Jones said. “I think there’s a little bit of everything for everyone here. We really went for a lot of variety of activities this year, so we just basically want students to have a good time and forget they’re in school for a sec.”

Island Waves • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x

Comments (0)

All Island Waves Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments