Image courtesy of Lauren Pack/CHI ALPHA. Students were able to gather in worship on the Bay Hall Lawn during Rez Week

Christian organizations on campus joined together to celebrate Rez Week

April 25, 2019

During the week of April 16–20, several campus ministries across campus, Chi Alpha, Baptist Student Ministries (BSM), Islander Catholic, Reformed University Fellowship (RUF), Young Life, Heat Wave, and The Net, came together to celebrate Resurrection Week (Rez Week), which is the week that proceeds Easter and the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus.

“We erected two tents on Bay Hall lawn,” said Eric Bean, BSM Director. “One was designed to be be a personal prayer tent where individuals can gather for prayer, worship, scripture reading and meditation. The second tent provided a place for community gatherings. We hosted prayer groups, Bible studies, worship events and group reflections throughout each day and evening. BSM hosted our weekly free lunch outside on Tuesday and Islander Catholic invited several priests for scheduled confessions.”

Last year during Rez Week, the BSM put on a 24-hour prayer tent. This year, they were able to partner with the other organizations to host a 72-hour prayer experience.

Image courtesy of Zach Ruiz/BSM. The prayer tent was active for 72 hours straight this year and provided a place of rest for students as well as displayed artwork that featured various scriptures.

“The prayer tent went really well!” said Zach Ruiz, senior Environmental Science major and BSM Coordinator. “We were able to pray with other students and formed a small haven of rest to just lay down any worries. I hope to see that Rez week was able to leave an impact on students since they are able to see how multiple Christian organizations came together to put this on. Because we are united through Christ, and we want to share the love of that to others.”

Image courtesy of Lauren Pack/CHI ALPHA. Rez Week is meant to bring together all campus ministry organizations and students to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus.

“The overall goal of Rez Week,” said Bean, “is to provide a place for students to reflect on and celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Christian faith teaches that Jesus’ death and resurrection is the key event in history that brings atones for the sins of humanity and offers hope that sin, death and injustice has been defeated. Our organizations want to serve and support students and our campus. One way we do that is through prayer and providing a place for students to live out and explore their faith in God.”

All campus ministry organizations are welcoming to any Islander who is interested and will continue to host events on campus, including Rez Week again next year.

Image courtesy of Lauren Pack/CHI ALPHA. Chi Alpha, Baptist Student Ministries (BSM), Islander Catholic, Reformed University Fellowship (RUF), Young Life, Heat Wave, and The Net, all came together to celebrate Rez Week.