New Athletic Director, Jonathan Palumbo, joins Islander Athletics

Photography courtesy of Dan Gale/COLLEGEAD

Jonathan Palumbo joined the Islander Athletics team in November of 2018 and is excited to grow the athletics program and student involvement here on the Island.

“I came to TAMU-CC because of the vision of Dr. Quintanilla and her team for the future of the university,” said Palumbo. “There is tremendous potential for Islander Athletics to help serve as a catalyst for the university’s continued growth and to become an even greater source of pride for the

campus and local community to rally around. I believe this is a place where we can provide an outstanding, championship experience for our student-athletes, and that is what I am here to do.”

Palumbo graduated from La Salle University in Philadelphia, Pa. He was a dedicated student athlete who thrives in a competitive atmosphere.

“My favorite college experience was as a baseball student-athlete,” said Palumbo. “The opportunity to compete at the college level, the bond I formed with my teammates on long road trips, the lessons in time management, working through adversity, and working towards a common goal with a group of people who are all in it together.”

Working in many higher education environments, Palumbo appreciates the ability to relay his own time as a student athlete to those who can benefit from his insight and experience.

“I love working in the university setting because I have the opportunity to make a direct impact on the lives of our student-athletes,” said Palumbo. “Our job is to educate them and to provide them with growth opportunities as students, athletes and future leaders that they otherwise would not have access to. I want to be someone that they recognize as a campus partner and someone that they can share ideas with. That is a humbling opportunity and something about which I get excited every day when I get up and go to work.”

Having a strong sports — or “championship culture” — is something that is a priority. Palumbo believes that this culture can be lost when corners are cut, integrity is compromised and the community on campus does not hold student-athletes and coaches as being members of that same community.

“I am fortunate to have had experience working in organizations with championship culture,” said Palumbo, “and I have helped build and sustain that culture at those universities. I will draw on that experience to help build the same culture within or athletics program here, but I cannot do it alone.

“I will bring a collaborative approach to working with the campus community to achieve success that will be mutually beneficial for our campus as a whole,” continued Palumbo. “Our athletics program should be a source of pride and something that everyone in our community enjoys and feels a sense of ownership.”

Palumbo hopes to build the student interactions within the athletic department as to obtain exposure and presence in our sports community.

“There are any number of positive impacts that a successful athletics program can have on a campus,” said Palumbo. “These include a sense of spirit and camaraderie amongst the student body, a point of engagement with the local community that takes pride in being part of that success, an enduring connection with alumni who follow sports programs after they graduate and come back to campus to games, and the ability to showcase the university on a regional and national stage through television, radio, internet, print media and social media outlets.”

He believes in order to build upon the athletic involvement and sense of Islander pride, active involvement must be made from the students and faculty.

“Come to the games!” said Palumbo. “Be loud, be engaged, be active participants in the game day atmosphere! Be respectful but make it difficult on the opposing team by making your presence felt. We are working on enhancements to our game day presentation to make it more interactive and enjoyable for students.”