Filed under 2019 Archive, Sports

Lady Islanders basketball season wraps up

Photo courtesy of Rick Yeatts/TAMU-CC Media -
Alexes Bryant moves the basketball down the court against Nicholls State in the Southland Conference Tournamnet in Katy, Texas.

Photo courtesy of Rick Yeatts/TAMU-CC Media - Alexes Bryant moves the basketball down the court against Nicholls State in the Southland Conference Tournamnet in Katy, Texas.

The TAMU-CC Lady Islanders basketball team had a great season with their performance in the Southland Conference tournament in Katy, Texas.

This season, the Lady Islanders managed to pull through to go to the final match in the tournament. Juniors Alexes Bryant and Dalesia Booth said that the journey to get to the conference tournament took a lot of hard work.

“It wasn’t an easy road,” said Bryant. “During the season, we lost some games that we should have won.” One of the games that was the deciding factor in the Lady Islanders going to the Southland tournament was the match-up against McNeese State in which the Islanders won 62-51.

After that victory, it gave both Bryant and Booth, alongside the team, the boost of confidence that they needed going into the tournament. “Once we beat them,” said Booth, “we realized to ourselves, ‘Okay, we got this. We are a good team and we can do this.’”

With the first round of the tournament, the Lady Islanders faced off against the University of New Orleans Privateers, a team they already competed against in the regular season with the Islanders winning the first game and losing the other.

“We came into the tournament with a chip on our shoulder because we lost the second time we played them,” said Bryant. “I feel like mentally we were already like, ‘We can’t lose the first round. We have to beat UNO in the first round for sure.’”

The team only had about 27 minutes to warm-up, which they used to be sure they stretched and made sure their shots were as precise as possible. The hard work paid off as the Lady Islanders beat the Lady Privateers 69-47, advancing them to the next round to face off against Nicholls State.

The victory against Nicholls gave the Lady Islanders the mentality that they could go all the way in the tournament. With the third game in a huge tournament, the teams start to wear down from fatigue, but Booth and the team worked hard to be sure that fatigue doesn’t set in going into the match against Stephen F. Austin.

“By the third game everyone is tired,” said Booth. “So we still got to push through, still play hard and run up and down the court.” The Lady Islanders beat Stephen F. Austin 58-56 in a two-second play that remains memorable to Booth and Bryant.

“We had a couple seconds on the clock,” said Booth. “… We just gave the ball to Emma Young and gave a layup and put us up by two.”

In the final game of the tournament, the Lady Islanders squared off against Abilene Christian for the title, which gave the team confidence going in after the previous three games. “We felt we could do anything at that point,” said Booth, “because had beat so many teams that we lost to before.”

But in a hard-fought battle, the Lady Islanders fell 68-69, losing by one point shy of the conference title. Although the loss was a tough one, Booth utilizes that experience as momentum for the future.

“It hurt to lose, but it gave us momentum for next year, that we can do this,” said Booth, “and we can actually make it that far and get there.” Both Bryant and Booth plan to return next season for their senior year with the hope to get the conference tournament under their belt before graduating. And after going far, it’s safe to say that the Lady Islanders basketball team will be back to finish the fight.

About the Writer
Jonathan Garcia, Reporter

Communications - Junior Media Studies major, reporter/videographer, and fan of Spider-Man and video games