Filed under 2019 Archive, Sports

Islander Athletics spring update is promising

Image courtesy of Tim Hannah/Islander Athletics- Carlos Pedrosa Cuevas representing the Islanders in the men’s tennis match against the
University of the Incarnate Word on April 9, their first win in the Southland Conference.

Image courtesy of Tim Hannah/Islander Athletics- Carlos Pedrosa Cuevas representing the Islanders in the men’s tennis match against the University of the Incarnate Word on April 9, their first win in the Southland Conference.

In the Spring semester, the Islander Athletics department is busy with games and tournaments for baseball, softball, golf, track and field, beach volleyball and tennis.

Here is a brief update on how some of the Islander teams are doing courtesy of Marshall Fey, Assistant Director of Athletics/Media Relations and Communications:

Q: The Islander’s baseball team has been having a pretty solid start. How have they been holding up this season, and are they set for a tournament appearance this season? And what have been some of the highlights they have had this year?

A: The baseball team is currently in second place in the Southland standings with a 10-5 record. Earlier this season, the Islanders rattled off seven straight wins to close out non-conference play, beating Texas State and sweeping Ohio State (2 games) and Eastern Michigan (3 games). The Islanders swept a three-game series from Central Arkansas on March 29–30, beating the Bears with three consecutive walk-off wins. During the next game, the Islanders beat Prairie View A&M in a walk-off, giving the team four last-at bat victories in four straight games.

Entering the weekend, the team has 15 more Southland games this year so the league schedule is exactly halfway through. The top 8 teams make the conference Tournament starting on May 22 in Sugar Land, Texas.

Q: How has the Islander’s softball team been doing this season? Are there any noteworthy games or moments about the team that are worth mentioning?

A: Entering the weekend, Islander softball has 12 remaining conference games and is currently sitting in 10th place in the Southland Conference Standings. The top 8 teams in the league make the tournament each year. Six of the remaining nine games (after this weekend) are against teams currently in 11th and 12th place in the standings, so a good chance to make up some ground and possibly make a run to qualify for the tournament. The team is home for seven more contests and will conclude the regular season on Saturday, May 4. That game will be the team’s senior day for our lone senior Keagan Helson, an outfielder from Chicago.

Q: How has the Islander’s golf team been doing this year? Any highlights or noteworthy things worth mentioning. If so, what?

A: The Golf team will compete in the Southland Conference Tournament starting on Monday, April 15, in Magnolia, Texas. The team has had a pair of runner-up finishes, placing second at the home Islander Classic on Feb. 26, and the team also took 2nd at the HBU Husky Invitational on March 19. At UTRGV, the team took third place.

Individually, Autumn Bynum won the individual title at the Islander Classic. The junior from Montgomery, Texas, has been one of the team’s top performers this season.

Additionally, the track and field team recently competed in the South Texas Showdown presented by NavyArmy Community Credit Union on April 6, and the men placed first and the women placed second. Their next meet will be on April 20 at the Rice University J. Fred Duckett Invitational and the Southland Conference Outdoor Championships will be held May 3–May 5 in Natchitoches, La.

The women’s beach volleyball team is down 9–13 overall with the Southland Conference Showcase on April 18–19 in New Orleans, La.

The tennis teams have been experiencing a winning season with the men’s overall standing 16–8 and the women’s overall standing at 13–6. Both teams will be competing in the Southland Conference Tournament April 25–27.

For recent or future results on how the Islander Athletes are doing, visit, https://goislanders.com.

Looking ahead, Fey also gave Island Waves a preview of how the men’s basketball team is already planning for their next season.

Q: How has the Islander’s men’s basketball team been preparing for next season, and what has been the biggest game they had this season?

A: The men’s basketball National Letter of Intent spring singing period starts on Wednesday, April 17. The Islanders will look to add pieces to a team that lost just two seniors from last season. We will release on GoIslanders.com when paperwork becomes official. One of the biggest wins of the season came on Wednesday, Feb. 20, as the Islanders beat defending champion Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches, 65-55. Kareem South had a double-double with a career-high 29 points and 12 rebounds. The islanders jumped out to a 17-0 lead in the first half.

About the Writer
Jonathan Garcia, Reporter

Communications - Junior Media Studies major, reporter/videographer, and fan of Spider-Man and video games