Island University receives part of a $1 million grant

Image courtesy of Arianna Aloia/ISLAND WAVES. Dr. Don Albrecht, Vice President of Student Engagement and Success, explains the newly awarded grant from the Qatar Harvey Fund.

On Wednesday, April 24, it was announced that five Texas A&M System campuses will benefit from a $1 million grant to help support students affected by Hurricane Harvey.

According to the Texas A&M University System news release, more than 500 students withdrew from the universities they were attending and did not return after the damage of Hurricane Harvey.

The Island University along with Texas A&M University, Texas A&M University at Galveston, Prairie View A&M University and Texas A&M University-Kingsville are the recipients of this grant that was provided by the State of Qatar through its Qatar Harvey Fund and the Rebuild Texas Fund.

“Qatar and Texas have many long-standing ties,” said His Excellency Sheikh Meshal bin Hamad Al-Thani, Qatar’s Ambassador to the U.S. in the news release, “including a Texas A&M campus in Qatar that has awarded some 900 engineering degrees over more than a dozen years. When we saw the devastation from Hurricane Harvey, we created the Qatar Harvey Fund to help our friends in Texas recover from the storm. We are proud to once again partner with the Rebuild Texas Fund to support Texas students impacted by Hurricane Harvey.”

Dr. Don Albrecht, Vice President of Student Engagement and Success, said that TAMU-CC had 400 students reach out after Hurricane Harvey hit the coast to say that they couldn’t come back to attend college and that this grant is specifically designed for them and other students who never reached out.

“We are going to hire student workers,” said Albrecht. “The student workers have to be Harvey impacted, so we can hire up to three student workers for that. So, we would like to have students know about that to come work for us for ten bucks an hour and help us do more contact. And then it will be direct aid to students. They can get grants. Predominantly fall and spring but we can also summer, fall, spring and next summer. …

“They just have to give us some sort of information, documentation that they were Harvey impacted,” continued Albrecht. “Some of them we already know because we have helped some of them already, and so we already have some information of them, we just need to hear back from them that they still have some need. Then we can pretty quickly give them some financial assistance.”

Students also do not have to attend the same university that they were at when they were forced to withdraw. As long as they prove they were registered at one of the five aforementioned universities, they are eligible for the grant and can attend any awarded location.

Also, on April 24, the Student Engagement of Success sent out the following information for student who would like more information about the grant:

“The TAMU-CC Division of Student Engagement and Success has created a website with details of the grant, eligibility requirements, and a student request form at harveyhelp.tamucc.edu

Registration is now open for students who think they may qualify. CLICK HERE to register.

For more information, contact the Student Engagement and Success Student Assistance Coordinator at [email protected]

About the Writer
Sierra Lutz, Editor-in-Chief

Junior, graphic design major. Experienced in layout, journalism, inDesign and Illustrator.