Photos courtesy of Johnathan Garcia. Students wait over 40 minutes at the campus bookstore the first week classes. (Jonathan Garcia)
Photos courtesy of Johnathan Garcia. Students wait over 40 minutes at the campus bookstore the first week classes.

Jonathan Garcia

Students waiting in unexpected long lines at campus bookstore

August 29, 2019

The first week of the fall semester welcome students with unexpected wait times at the Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi campus bookstore.

The campus bookstore, located in the University Center, was once a Barnes and Noble. The change was made over the summer to a new company called Follett, who has made changes to other Texas A&M campuses including Kingsville, TAMU-International and San Antonio.

The Islander Bookstore off Ennis Joslin recently closed, which took many students by surprise as merchandise was moved to the bookstore on campus. That alone hasn’t changed the lengthy wait times students had to go through purchasing their books, supplies and even apparel.

One of the students who experienced the long wait time was sophomore Computer Science major Bryan Larry.

Jonathan Garcia

“You’re just standing still in one place,” said Larry. “It’s not comfortable for me. It feels so long that you don’t even remember when you started waiting.”

Another sophomore and Computer Science major in line with Larry was Shawn Gibson.

“I started waiting about 40 minutes ago,” said Gibson. “I got here around 12:30 and it’s now 1:10.”

Freshman Nursing major Kaylee Jones was waiting in line near the end, making her worry about her attendance in class.

“I have a class at 2:00 p.m.,” said Jones. “You get points for attendance and this will probably make me late.”

Campus bookstore manager Ashley, who declined to give her last name, explained that the long lines and wait times were unexpected.

“We were told that we should expect x,” said Ashley on the number of students in the bookstore, “and then we got x plus y because there’s nowhere else for students to go. So, it’s way busier than anyone has anticipated.”

Ashley added that they were prepared for what would be deemed “normal” for a typical sale for the first week, but the number of students in attendance this semester took them by surprise.

One of the many ways that students said that the bookstore can improve on adjusting to the wait times is by hiring more people, which Ashley said will happen within the coming weeks and before the preparation for next semester.