Senator’s meeting recap: Sept. 9, 2019

Senator’s meeting recap: Sept. 9, 2019

The Student Government Association of Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi held their second senate meeting on Sept. 9. SGA had taken the previous Monday off to observe Labor Day.

The meeting began with President Sarina Garcia’s report, during which she spoke about a meeting SGA had with university President Dr. Kelly Quintanilla about summer activities and upcoming fall events.

“Right now, the president’s office is working on gaining ownership of the university beach,” said Garcia. “The Texas Land Grant Office currently has full ownership of the land, and the university is working to secure the beach property either on a 99-year lease or as a gift from the Texas Land Grant Office. The goal is to have ownership of the beach by next fall or hopefully sooner.”

With the fall election season having ended, there were no contested elections. The new senators will be sworn in on Sept. 23 at 11:00 a.m. in the UC Rotunda.

Matthew Tamez
Photo courtesy of Matthew Tamez: President Garcia proposed a budget for a swearing-in ceremony reception.

Vice President Brittney Held reported that on Sept. 17 and 18, in recognition of Constitution Week, the SGA will be tabling and registering people to vote in Nueces County. Quintanilla is also looking for volunteers for the State of the University event on Oct. 2.

Garcia also proposed a budget for a Swearing-In Ceremony Reception after the Swearing-In Ceremony. Garcia presented the proposed budget with a spreadsheet detailing a breakdown of spending. The senate consented unanimously to approve the budget.

College of Education and Human Development Senator Isabella Tolentino reported that she put out the idea of getting a daycare on campus. Having been told, however, that there was not enough space for a daycare, she hopes to present to board that they need a place for a daycare.

The SGA is still looking for more Associate Justices. Students who are interested in getting involved can talk to Chief Justice Stormie Gutierrez during her office hours Monday/Wednesday 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and Tuesday 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Students who wish to be involved can find many ways to do so through the SGA’s I-Engage portal. Students can also talk to their respective representatives in the senate.