Photo by Gabriella Ruiz: TAMU-CC’s Sea Turtle Conservation Club had their first meeting for the 2019-2020 academic year.

Save The Turtles At TAMU-CC

September 16, 2019

On Sept. 12 the Sea Turtle Conservation Club held their first meeting of the semester. The whole room was filled with students who held an interest in learning about sea turtles.

During the meeting, students introduced themselves by sharing facts that they knew about sea turtles. They also mentioned what they do to save the sea turtles’ environment from plastic waste. Most students use metal straws, reusable bags and reusable cups. By utilizing these products it keeps the turtles’ home clean.

The president of the Sea Turtle Club, Emily Saculla, stated “We want to promote awareness of  the sea turtles’ endangerment. We want to better their populations and provide conservational efforts as a whole.”

Many things are planned for this year’s activities. Some activities include beach clean up events, going to the Amos Rehabilitation keep and the Texas Sea Life Center. At these events, students have the ability to communicate and learn from professionals in the field. These professionals often offer them internships and exciting opportunities.

“Both places allow the volunteers to interact directly with the turtles,” said Saculla. “We are able to feed and clean their tanks.”

Having this opportunity allows the members of the club to have hands-on learning. Students are able to go to the beach and pick up trash to observe how the sea turtles bite the plastic. The members of the club also have the ability to discover how sea turtles are being harmed by the usage of plastic being thrown out in the ocean.

Freshman Elizabeth Smith a member of the Sea Turtle Club, loves the idea of being able to make a change in the sea turtles’ world. Smith believes that they are as important as humans are, and being in this club will allow her to make an impact in saving the turtles lives from being injured.

“All animals and creatures should be safe to swim and live in this world just as we do,” said Smith.

“We need to step up and help them rebuild their world so that they can live out their long, beautiful lives safely and happily.”

The Sea Turtle Club is just getting started, and they are ready to roll with all their new members. For more information, check out their page on I-Engage. Students everywhere can make a change that could help in saving a turtle’s life.