Senator’s meeting recap: Sept. 16, 2019

Senator’s meeting recap: Sept. 16, 2019

SGA met for their weekly senate meeting, during which the members of SGA gave updates on previous business as well as spoke about pressing matters.

Speaker Morell Jenkins spoke about office hours and the fact that some senators are not completing the required one office hour each senator must complete per week.

“You guys are not completing your office hours,” said Jenkins, “and if you are completing your office hours, you’re not completing the proper documentation for us to say you completed that office hour. That is very crucial to being a senator.”

Jenkins also spoke out about senators attending the weekly meetings out of the business casual dress code.

“If you are not in dress code,” said Jenkins, “that is an absence. As speaker, I will call you out and let you know you are not in dress code.”

Jenkins also urged the senators to start looking ahead to topics for the legislative agenda. “I want it to be things that you guys think of,” said Jenkins, “and your constituents have complained about before.”

President Sarina Garcia reminded the senate about the upcoming swearing ceremony on Sept. 23 in the University Center Rotunda. Garcia will swear in all the new senators on stage. Garcia proceeded to give a reminder about the SGA retreat on Saturday, a closed SGA internal event.

Garcia also received feedback from student athletes on how the SGA could further get involved in student athletics. Garcia ended her report with an announcement, informing the senate that she will be unavailable from Sept. 26 through Sept. 30 due to being out of town. Immediate assistance should be directed to Vice President Brittney Held.

Held presented her appointment to the Public Relations Chair, Senator Pilar Harkless. The senate consented unanimously to appoint Harkless as the Public Relations Chair. Held also announced the planning of a new initiative that will implement swipe donations, allowing students to donate a specific amount to students with food insecurity. Held asked the senators to reach out to their constituents to see if the students support the initiative.

Dr. Don Albrecht, one of the SGA advisors, brought up a public hearing for campus fees on Sept. 24.

“I’m understanding the athletic department is asking to change the athletic fee,” said Dr. Albrecht. “The only requirement of those that have been presented is a student government vote on the athletic fee. They are asking for less than five percent.”

Dr. Lisa Perez, the SGA advisor alongside Albrecht, announced a partnership with the coastal bend foodbank. Izzy’s Food Pantry will offer a program for all students called Fresh Friday’s. Once a month they will provide fresh produce, bread and pastries.