Image+courtesy+of+Islander+Athletics+-+TAMU-CC%E2%80%99s+women%E2%80%99s+tennis+team+competed+well%2C+sending+them+to+the+Rice+Invitational+in+Sept.+27.+

TAMU-CC tennis program dominates Islander opener

Image courtesy of Islander Athletics - TAMU-CC’s women’s tennis team competed well, sending them to the Rice Invitational in Sept. 27.

September 19, 2019

On Sunday, Sept. 15, 2019, TAMU-CC tennis team competed at the Contender Crossfit Islander Open at the Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center, where they took on opponents Rice, UTSA, Incarnate Word and others.

The first day of competition on Saturday, freshman Pascal Lorieul lead the way with 3-6, 6-3, 6-0 wins in men’s singles over Adrian Martinez. The top 40 French national continued his reign of terror with a 7-6 men’s double victory alongside Kyohei Yamanaka.

“This weekend I won two good matches despite losing the first set in both of them,” said Lorieul. “I think as a team we did very well overall, especially the girls because of their success.”

The Islanders continued their path of success with athletes Carlos Ruiz, Guillermo Castaneda and Jonathan Christie all dominating their opponents in the men’s singles.

The women’s tennis team came into the tournament having won three of the past four Southland Conference regular season titles. Up first, sophomore star and last year’s Second Team All Southland, Camille Townsend defeated Abilene Christian sophomore Eva Du Toit in a 6-1, 6-1 women’s singles victory for the Islanders. The women continued to rule with a series of victories in women’s singles from athletes Mariya Shumekia, Kei Kata, Carolina Bulatavoic, Victorie Delatte and Jordan Ortega-Mendez. The Islander athletes advanced to competitive play the following day.

Starting off day two in the men’s category, junior Kyohei Yamanka defeated Carlos Izurieta in a 6-2, 2-6, 10-5 thriller to secure a win in the A Draw singles consolation bracket. The Japense star tennis player was one of the most highly recruited junior tennis players in Japan and is coming off an impressive sophomore season with All-Southland first team recognition.

Day two left the Islander women’s team victorious all across the board with dominating victories in nine singles and doubles matches, advancing themselves to the Rice Invitational on Sept. 27. In the women’s singles, juniors Kei Kato and Jordan Ortega-Mendez succeeded in winning the All Islander B and C Draw singles title matches. The following hour, Ortega-Mendez and junior Carolina Bulatovic won the B Doubles draw with a 6-1 victory over Abilene Christian. Sophomores Camille Townsend and Mariya Shumeika will play for the A Draw singles title on Wednesday. The pair won the A Doubles draw with a 6-4 victory over Rice.

“I think our players got so much out of it,” said head tennis coach Steve Moore when talking to the Corpus Christi Islanders Athletics news department, “our community gets so much out of this, and it’s just another great event for the Corpus Christi community.”

Overall, the Islanders swung past rival opponents, winning eight singles matches and three doubles matches on the second day of action. The Islanders won an impressive five titles, including three All-Islander championship matches with the women going undefeated throughout the day in both singles and doubles.

If you want to check out the scoreboards, click here.