Hispanic Heritage Month celebrates by offering students information on health

MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS

Photo Credits: TAMUCC Marketing and Communications)

On Sept 24 in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, TAMU-CC nursing students and faculty held a health fair. Students were offered the chance to receive health check-ups, as well as other important health information in the Dugan Wellness Center.

Nursing students were able to provide BMI (body mass index), blood sugar, and blood pressure screenings. They also provided A1C tests, which are primarily used to indicate if somebody has type one or type two diabetes. Lastly, nursing students issued cholesterol tests and talked about the importance of kidney failure.

All the screenings and tests are recommended for everyone to take every three years, so how does the health fair celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month? According to the CDC newsroom, or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Hispanics are about one and a half times more likely to develop kidney failure than non-Hispanics,” and “Hispanic people are about 50% more likely to die from diabetes than whites.”

CDC states that probable causes of this might be because, “About one in three Hispanics have limited English proficiency.” They also mention that one in four Hispanics live in poverty, which can lead to having no health insurance.

As a result, nursing students and faculty helped bring awareness to this cause by providing resources and other critical information to assist the Hispanic community.

The health fair also consisted of other informative panels that spoke on safe sex, the benefits of recreational sports, breast cancer awareness, voter registration, and helpful information to anyone dealing with pregnancy and how to prepare for upcoming child-birth. Among these panels was also the University Health Center.

The Health Center informed students of what they provide in their clinic for anyone who makes a scheduled appointment. This includes things like STD screenings, birth-control, immunizations, lab testing, and they can help with minor procedures and general sick visits as well.

The Health Center also promoted the use of an app called “Student Health 101.” The app is an interactive, research-backed tool centered around college students. Essentially, the app gives better insight on how to maintain a healthier lifestyle all while still learning the ropes of college life.

For anyone interested in more Hispanic Heritage Month events, visit the TAMU-CC events calendar for more information.