New Lactation Room

New Lactation Room

Miguel Gutierrez/ISLANDWAVES-Dean Mark Hartlaub (right) holding the baby of a faculty member who will use the lactation room.

Last Tuesday, Oct. 1, was the grand opening of a brand-new Faculty Center Lactation Room. The room is designed to help mothers who are students and faculty on campus have a private designated room.

The project was sponsored by both the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Education and Human Development. The idea for the room originally belonged to Maricela Alexander, but was soon taken on by a large group of supporters.

Dr. Mark Hartlaub, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, said, “We really want faculty, staff and students to use it, use it a lot, and really like it.”

Inside view of the lactation room.

This has been in the works for around four months and took some determination to make happen. “That room was a faculty office, and now we are re-purposing that room, so first we had to get permission in order to use that room for something else,” said Hartlaub.

The College of Liberal Arts did sponsor the project financially. “We put in maybe $1,000 or $800, buying the screen, buying the chairs, buying the tablecloth, the mirrors and the decorations,” said Hartlaub.

The room is available for anyone on campus to utilize. In order to do so, mothers may contact the administrative associates for the deans of either the College of Liberal Arts or the College of Education and Human Development.

“They’re here from eight to five everyday,” said Hartlaub, “so there will always be somebody able to do that for them from eight to five.

“This is something that we are really excited about,” continued Hartlaub, “I hope that it’s used. That’s the whole goal. If it’s used a lot, and the women who use it like it and tell others about it, I would love to be able to put in another one in three years.”

For more news about on campus events, be sure to stay tuned to Island Waves.

Update: There are other lactation rooms on campus located in the University Counseling Center and Tidal Hall. If you would like to use a room, contact [email protected]