TAMU-CC and Walgreens help students and faculty combat the flu

Jonathan+Garcia%2FISLANDWAVES+-+Beth+Franz+%28left%29+holds+her+composure+as+Walgreens+Pharmacist+Michelle+Soliz+administers+the+flu+shot+to+combat+the+flu.+

Jonathan Garcia/ISLANDWAVES - Beth Franz (left) holds her composure as Walgreens Pharmacist Michelle Soliz administers the flu shot to combat the flu.

The Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Health Services department aids students and staff in fighting flu season by giving out flu shots on campus.

In partnership with Walgreens Pharmacy, the first round of patients was waiting in line on Wednesday Oct. 9 in the Dugan Wellness Center as pharmacists from Walgreens gave students and staff vaccines to combat the flu.

Many students, staff and visitors all gathered in the Dugan Wellness Center to get their annual flu shots, which the next round will be from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m, on Wednesday, Oct. 23.

“We’re coming out to support flu immunization and making sure that everybody is protected from the flu this year,” said Ben Jung, Store Manager of Walgreens. Jung added that they have been doing this for several years and developed a wonderful relationship with TAMU-CC and provide these immunizations for the campus.

“It not only protects yourself from the flu, it also protects those around you,” stated Jung. This includes people who are unable to get the vaccine and prevent the virus from spreading from person to person.

Pharmacist Michelle Soliz states that this vaccine fights different types of A and B strains, most notably the H3N2 and H1N1 virus. Soliz also explains that the vaccine takes 14 days to kick in, and also debunks what has been said about people getting sick from the shot itself.

“There are a lot of people who think that they get the flu from the flu shot, they don’t get the flu from the shot, that is a misconception” stated Soliz. The vaccine creates the antibodies and takes 14 days to help you become immunized, but exposure to the flu before the shot causes the person to get sick as told by Soliz.

Michelle Soliz administers the vaccine into Freshman Elizabeth Sotello, who is getting her annual flu shot by herself.

Jung also added that they like to see the same people coming back every year to get their shots, but also enjoys seeing new patients getting their shots. Freshman Education major Elizabeth Sotello was one of the newbies getting her flu shot by herself without her mom which was a milestone for her.

“It was nerve racking, but it was good to feel like that I did it on my own,” said Sotello. This experience getting her flu shot by herself also gave her confidence for the future in visiting the doctor on her own as well.

With scheduling appointments and complications at the doctor’s office, Jung recommends that students and staff get their shots at these events because it is easier with a short wait and no appointment needed.

Walgreens will be back from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 23 in the Dugan Wellness Center for the next round of patients. Be sure to have both your insurance card and driver’s license or photo ID. Without insurance it is $35.99 with both cash and check accepted.